Archinect
anchor

Leave or Stay?

Anob

First time writing on a forum so I welcome anyone's advice.

Ok here's my problem, I'm a recent graduate and I've been working for an Architect for a year coming this February. He recently took a senior position at a major corporation. He told me he did this to fill up his portfolio for his own business. He has dropped a few of his clients to focus on his new position. So far I've been working on the few remaining projects that we have. With him I've worked on amazing projects and recieved great experience that a 1st year usually doesn't get but, I'm worried about my job. 

Should I start preparing for my departure or just plant my feet and see what happens?

Dec 28, 12 11:58 am
Medusa

Ask him what his plans are because you need to know what's going on in terms of your own employment. 

If he is someone you enjoy working with, ask if he can get you a job at his new company.

Dec 28, 12 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

so is this a firm of just you (NEET) and the owner? Other than that, i would be concern why would a guy who has his own successful co. is going to work for another co. to rep their work in his portfolio

IMHO

a). implement your back up plan,(get you ducks in a row to find a new job)

b). ride the wave if you can, and see how far down the rabbit hole you go. maybe your boss will bring you own at the other co. or maybe he will have you running his side co. wile he works from his corporate job?

Dec 28, 12 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Thank you for the response guys.

He did mention that he is trying to get me a position at his knew job. I have been working on a very few projects for his new job. I'm just a little wary that it would be possible to get me in because of my lack of experience. And i apologize he's using this job as experience for his resume not his own portfolio. He has done this before and he landing great contracts with other major companies  And yes its just me and him tmston2.

Dec 28, 12 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

do you get the feeling that the guy is sometimes dishonest with people?  if so, keep in  mind he's probably dishonest with you too.  I would not help him with his corporate work while employed by him.  if your job is to help him with his own projects, then that's fine.  if the corporation wanted you doing their work they can hire you and pay you instead of letting your boss take a cut.

are you saying that what he's doing is working for someone else to get new contacts, then he's planning on taking their clients for himself and quitting?  or do you think he's working for a corporation so he can use their name on his resume for marketing purposes?

Dec 28, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

He is definitely not planning to take their clients away from them. He just uses it as good references and connections.

And I do agree with your comment about his other job, I will take that into consideration.

Thank you.

Dec 28, 12 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

NEET

I would start or sustain your job search, even when you are busy you should keep your resume and portfolio up to date so that if you need to start looking full time you don’t have to delay the search because the basic infrastructure was not ready. 

Get the resume and portfolio up to the level where you want it.  Start networking update or start a new linked in account. Linked in is good but it takes time to get going.

I would try to get linked in up to 150 -200 connections.  Also if you did the production work for your current firm ask to have copies of those drawings for a possible job search down the road, don’t wait for a pink slip get copies of your work as projects wrap up.

Ask for advice on your career this may reveal what your boss envisions for you, if he has no advice or reveals some plans that don’t line up with you own goals then move on, but asking your boss for advice is a non-accusatory tactful way to bring up the subject of your future and your future with the firm.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 28, 12 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
archimax

Regardless if your current boos can get you a position at his new company, you should look ahead and be prepare if he won't be able to offer you anything.  Start composing your portfolio and polish up your resume and start searching for potential new leads.  Don't waste your time and be surprised by it later.

Dec 28, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: