anchor

damn tall building

mdler
eastcoastarch03

they spelled the plural for Story wrong

Sep 13, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

is it me or is Dubai possibly the most fake looking place on earth, after Las Vegas?

Sep 13, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

and i love the way they're building the top ~40 or so tiny floors stacked atop each other when they've got miles of empty desert around them

Sep 13, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I heard somewhere that DUbai was doing all their developement of islands and buildings because the original money supply for the region (oil maybe?) was running out, so they are converting over to tourism.

If thats the case, it seems really smart; some one over there is really thinking about the future.

Sep 13, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

What gets me is why there? What logical reason would you build a city of this size there? I can see a city - certainly a trading city - but its seems like the growth issue is really being forced. Oh well, WTF its only money right?

Sep 13, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Sarah I read that too but as I understand Dubai was always a port city - Im amazed that office towers = tourism but I'd love to see the glass specifications on these things - like triple insulated with like a 1/16 " coating and tinted throughout

anyone work on this region? they use a lot of high reflectance glass?

Sep 13, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thats a good question. But if its too reflective, could it just heat up the sand and desert more? Creating some sort of super-desert, I'm picturing a vast pool of molten sand. What is the long term enviormental impact of such things? Just curious.

Sep 13, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i can think of approximately 44 million places i'd rather take a vacation than there

Sep 13, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké
well at least it won't be alone for long:

proposed at 1200 meters (3,445ft)
that's another 400+ meters on the Burj Dubai above. this place is going to be an endless desert field of concrete dildos in another 5-10 years

Sep 13, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

FUCK, its amazing what you can do with slave labor!

Sep 14, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Does anyone know the size of the foundation?

Sep 14, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

port city? wasn't it really just a fishing town a few decades ago?

Sep 14, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

It seems like the 1000-meter mark is the next big goal in stupid tower design. Who will be the first to make a building 1 kilometer high?

Sep 14, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

For anyone with an axe to grind about the (un)susainability of super-tall buildings, hit me with it.

I'm writing the paper. Don't feel bad about handing over information, I'm doing this for money not grades.

Sep 16, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how long before al quieeeda starts blowing these buildings up?

Sep 16, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

never, guess where they get their money form?

(HINT: Its the same place we get our oil from.)

Sep 16, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Texas!

Sep 16, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL

Sep 16, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
Sep 16, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Damn,

now I'm getting a man crush

Sep 16, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

does anyone think there's a relationship between why they blew the world trade center up, and the petronas towers? the petronas are in a muslim country.

Sep 17, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Sarah i too have read about Dubai's long term goals. Though tourism is a large part of their projections, their goal right now is to funel the massive amounts of revenue into huge infrastructural and building projects with the aim to create a world financial capital as well as a tourist destination. It seems to me their goal is to create a New York of the middle east. But they have to do it now while they still have the money to fund it. It is a daring approach i believe, as much of this new growth is so highly speculative, but in reality, Dubai has little to no competition. Where as other major cities in the US Europe and East Asia have many other population centers with major economic clout in close proximity, Dubai is really on its own. Its growth seems virtually limitless.

Manuel De Landa talks about mesh networks of cities (in 1000 years of non linear history) which are prevalent in much of the world. Several large nodes are interconnected through smaller nodes which play the role, basically, of servants to keep the large nodes supplied. Large nodes in proximity to each other use the same supplier nodes there by limiting the amount of supplies that can be alloted for each Large node (i have highly simplified this argument fyi). However, in Dubai's case, I see an opportunity for them to grow so quickly, that they could assert themselves as the only node for a MASSIVE amount of people and potential wealth. I think this is their hope. Basically to grow so quickly, they capture a massive geographic and demographic web for soley their supplies . This is an outsiders opinion though, i would love to hear locals thoughts on this.

Sep 17, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
simples

coming soon

Sep 17, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
simples

just not so sure it will be in Illinois...

Sep 17, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i always admired that tower

Sep 17, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful
Sep 18, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: