Archinect
anchor

Barcelona Beach Re-Design????

myriam

Hi guys, I remember seeing something about a design for Barcelona's city beach, where a walkway was sort of carved into the ground and program was inserted into the built-up earth at the edge of the beach, and then the beach itself was rebuilt and extended and played with. This was (I thought) actually getting built.

I believe I saw it in a magazine.

I can find no reference to this design now. Can anyone help me ID it / track down info about it?

Medit, here's looking at you...

Sep 13, 07 2:18 pm
MADianito

maybe ur talking about the Olympic port adaptation?? they have a couple of restaurants/nightclubs, underneath the beach-walk in front of the beach??, or maybe at Forum Park (by FOA) where they place the bathroom sand some other storages and/or machine rooms underneath the park "dunes" (which is also in front of the sea)....

¿? i dunno if this might help...yeah maybe MEDIT knows exactly what r u talking about

Sep 13, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Hmm, I think it might be the FOA one... I will check both out--thanks!

Sep 13, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hmm, the FOA one isn't exactly what I was thinking of but it's very similar. The renderings I saw where taken from Beach level, and the project was very specifically a beach design. The forms were very similar to this though--curvy along the shore, with playful curves in section, and bathrooms and kiosks shoved under the landforms. It was like ribbons running along the shore.

Sep 13, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmhhh i think u might be talking about the project of Toyo Ito in Torrevieja Spain?? rather than the FOA project....

here's a fast link that i found about it, has more photos...im pretty sure thats the one ur thinking about:
http://www.via-arquitectura.net/10/10-110.htm

Sep 13, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

umm... I can't remember anything like this in Barcelona -if it's not FOA's park or Ábalos & Herreros park, both in the Fòrum area-.. maybe it was in the city's metro area?, sometimes magazines use the word Barcelona for works that are 20 km away from the municipal term... there are lots of beaches north and south of Barcelona

was it a recent project? or did you find this some time ago? the only thing under construction in the coastal line of the city I can think of is the Maritime Zoo -right next to the Fòrum- but that won't have a beach per se ... any clue about the author(s)? a guy, a girl, a "X & Y" name? what magazine it was?

Sep 13, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

if there was some kind of aerial rendering showing the context you could also try flying through the city's coastal line with Live Search... maybe you'll find some kind of clue there

Sep 13, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

if it's Toyo Ito's park -near Valencia-.. that's quite far from Barcelona really.. ;) ..
though I think those things in Torrevieja won't be into the built-up earth and covered with sand as if they formed part of the beach's topography ... looks more like that they will be objects left on the surface

maybe it looked like Miralles' cemetery in Igualada but by the beach? it sounds like something like that..

Sep 13, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i gave up designing beaches when i was small, as i found all my designs would eventually wash away.

Sep 14, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

umm.. myriam, it's not in Barcelona but several km down along the mediterranean coast, in Benidorm... - there's this project by Carles Ferrater which sounds a bit like what you're describing.. it's a reform of the waterfront of the city, right by the beach ... and it looks like curved ribbons -and like Miralles' Igualada Cemetery but more sensual, covered with sand instead of concrete:

here's some renderings

Sep 15, 07 6:52 am  · 
 · 
Medit

well, that's not exactly a project for the beach itself but a project for the maritime promenade.. but still..

Sep 15, 07 6:56 am  · 
 · 

Damn, they do some cool stuff in Spain.

Sep 15, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

myriam,
now I'm curious about this project.. did you find it? was it really in Barcelona?

Sep 30, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I never did find it for sure--as best I can tell, the renderings I saw were probably a beach view of the FOA project, I'm guessing. The only difference is that it was actual beach, not boardwalk, like the FOA project seems to have. The rendering looked probably really close to the Charles Ferrater project, if it were seen from eye-level at the beach, and had program at that level.

I did figure out that I had seen it in the "On the Boards" section of the old "Architecture" magazine, but their archives are no longer online and when I called the new owners ('Architect' magazine), they told me that they have very little archives and that they're in some storage area somewhere and they're not exactly sure where they are. So that was a dead end.

So I think I'm stuck just guessing. But regardless, I do want to thank you heartily, because the examples you gave me were a huge help and did satisfy what I needed the project for! (An example to some students working on a similar project.) THANK YOU many times over!

Sep 30, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: