Archinect
anchor

Sustainablity 101

Jah is my Co-pilot

The goal of this thread is to accumulate all "great" ideas for increasing sustainability in our daily lives.

Tip #1 - To further reduce your carbon footprint, exhale only every 3 breaths. This new inhale/exhale ratio offsets the percentage of carbon in each CO2 molecule, thus negating the detrimental impact breathing has on our delicate atmosphere.

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated

Sep 12, 07 12:03 pm
evilplatypus

dont leave the house today

Sep 12, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Take your bottle back to the brewery and have them filled again rather than buying new.

Sep 12, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i went to a seminar about sustainability yesterday and according to the lady at the podium, indoor air pollution is 5 to 100 times worse than outdoor air pollution, due to the increasing use of synthetic materials and building envelopes designed with inadequate ventilation...

and more than $60 billion/year in med costs can be attributed to poor indoor air quality...

our shelters are killing us, man

Sep 12, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot

Thats great, thanks...

But next time if you could phrase it in the form of
Tip # - (insert comment here)

something like....

Tip #2 - In order to reduce my overall energy consumption, I only wear clothes that come from second hand stores, thus reducing the the total embodied energy that it takes to clothe me

Sep 12, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

reduce your footprint 100 percent by killing yourself today.

Sep 12, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i'm using one square of toilet paper per Sheryl Crow's advice...

...man, my ass itches

Sep 12, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
novelty

to reduce my overall water consumption, when i have to take a shit, i hold it 24-48 hours. minimizing your amount of monthly shits has the added advantage of reducing your personal paper consumption, extending the benifits from the oceans and streams to the forests as well.

Sep 12, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Breathe more water.
Flush the toilet every other week.
Wear your clothes for 3 days straight to save washing water.
Shower once a week, above.
Live in the office and go home only on the week ends.
Drive a Citroen, it will go with your weeklong BO. Cool part, people will think your a Frog.
Stop using lead pencils.
Join Alexander Queda's Good Times Party in Afganistan, they got away with it.

%%uNUMBER ONE IDEA%%u: become LEED certified, garner the power by certification (I don't know what that means either so don't ask).

Sep 12, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
postal

and to add to that novel approach, shit consolidation probably will reduce your life expectancy, which brings us back to vado's post

Sep 12, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

In all seriousness, I heard from a concrete researcher yesterday that concrete production accounts for over 10% of the CO2 being produced worldwide.

It's mostly because of the manufacture of Portland cement.

Sep 12, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm not using toilet paper or even flushing... so I can shit when I want to.

KLAKLAKLAKLAK - you're quite presumptuous and maybe a little pompous for dictating the format of this responses - hence the sarcastic and snarky posts. maybe when you've accumulated more posts and comments 'round here you'll understand the mistakes you just made. while your intent is good, there are existing threads discussing this very subject - so use the search feature, and if you can't find exactly what your hoping to discuss, include a few links to the other discussions on the topic (and maybe some external sites too) to show that a)you've done your homework, b) your not a snotty student trying to have other people do your assignment, c) that you are an intellegent member of this community, d) have a sense of humor and appreciate the random chaos of the forum.

oh, kill the brick.

Sep 12, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
novelty

LEED AP confirmed it- shit consolidation is a leed credit. applicable under both Water Efficiency and Materials and Resources. 24 hrs gets you 1 point, doubling it to 48 hrs gets you another point under ID for Exemplary Performance.

Sep 12, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you can get a 200 percent footprint reduction by killing yourself and the person next to you...

i heard suidice bombers rack up 600-3000% footprint reduction

Sep 12, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Tip #3: I always liked, "If It's yellow, let it mellow, if It's brown flush it down."

Tip #4: Most epidemiologists say that if you wash your hands for less than 30 seconds you aren't doing anything. Most sociologists report that Americans on average wash their hands for 12 seconds. So let's stop washing our hands and see if it makes us sick.

Tip #6: As most people who buy "Cradle to Cradle" or "Massive Change" don't read them, how about an empty cover edition you can display on your bookshelf. That way, you save trees. Come to think of it, since no one sees to read all that many books in architecture, perhaps Tachen, MIT Press, and Princeton University Press can team up to make a fake architecture library. Then we can have a design competition to see who can come up with the coolest bookcase that will only support fake books, and someday that apocryphal story about the architect who designed the library but forgot to account for the weight of the books will really be true.

Sep 12, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot

Thanks for the tips people!

I appreciate all comments regarding this topic. Although I didn't specifically state it, the kinds of replies I was looking for were to be humorous, outlandish, and "snarky". That is why I posted the "tips" I did, and also followed up with a totally ridiculous "formatting" suggestion.
Suicide, now thats a classic.

thank you.

Sep 12, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
cf

damson:
How about killing yourself and the person next to you with a recycled brick... 250 credits.
Oh, the person next to you was LEED certified, you lose that 50 extra credits.

Sep 12, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

all depends on the carbon emissions of your choice of explosives- homemade diesel/ammonia gets less credit then plastic explosives, with hydrogen peroxide mixtures get the most number of points though nukes and other wmds have a separate credit

Sep 12, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

well, for those who aren't up for suicide, anorexia can be a nice option.

Sep 12, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I just jumped into my ride

ya, it's got a Hemi, and burned rubber down to my corner bumper snicker store. Bought me a gross of bumper stickers:

SAVE THE EARTH, BREATH MORE WATER

Sep 12, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
postal

did you realize that animals other than humans also breath our air?

stupid dolphins, breathing our air! breath water bitches!

i support mass game hunting, perhaps using LEED approved nukes or wmd's as recommended above

Sep 12, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
cf

HA, Postal, An LEED Approved Weapon!
Reusable explosive device:
http://www.sandia.gov/media/NewsRel/NR2002/flash.htm
Those LEED people are always thinking, thinking, thinking.

People should have to buy the air they breath.
You're a poor loser? Sorry, better luck in your next lifetime.

Sep 12, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Tip #212...Take imaginary vacations in your head. Saves on gas, carbon emissions, money, and you can do it while sitting at your computer at work, so you don't use up any vacation hours either.

Sep 12, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: