Archinect
anchor

Intro to Graphic Design

Can anyone suggest a good book or two that provides a good, basic level introduction to graphic design? Obviously I have picked up some basics already, between Fundamentals freshman year and the bits and pieces you learn along the way. I would like something that can give me a little bit of a better foundation on the basics or even some intermediate topics so that I have a better grasp on the discipline.

I may never be as good as some of my graphic designer buddies, but I would at least like to be able to do my own resume, portfolio and other layouts without feeling like a complete amateur.

Sep 11, 07 4:43 pm

what specificly are you looking for? Typography, layout, color theory?

Without knowing specifics, I highly recommend the Basics Design series by Ambrose & Harris. I've got Layout and Print and Finish and they are both so excellent that I hope to have the whole set someday.

Sep 11, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

Sep 11, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

There is a great book entitled Graphic Design History by Steven Heller. Its index has a list of influential designers broken down by nationality, decade, and artistic movement.

Sep 11, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Read "Cheese Monkeys" by Chip Kidd.

Sep 11, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I recommend A History of Graphic Design by Philip Meggs.

It's a textbook, but it reads much better than a textbook because of all of the useful images and graphics. It loved it.

Sep 11, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Edward Tuftes books are good in showing how to present simple and complex information coherently and sometimes even inventively. Information design.

The book by Meggs is the official history - so if you read one, that's it.

Many guides for "lay-people" can be too "easy" or simplistic for your use, but have a go at "Stop stealing sheep" - it's a very basic guide for typography. Otherwise, check out some of the bigger picture books and find out the designers you favor - the study those - graphic design is a broad field and all-in-one basic manuals don't exist.

I have found the study of a few designers most instructive, then you get to the root of their design decisions and possibly can see some reason behind the forms. And develop your own sensibilities at the same time.

Sadly, many new groups or designers are not researched that much, or are represented just by their own "publicity material" - I guess the latest designers that are seriously written about would be the 80's new wave people.

And, of course, don't forget to check out the magazines: read the back issues of emigre (the old stuff) and Eye (all of it) and you'll get more stuff than from any how-to book. ever.

Sep 12, 07 6:30 am  · 
 · 

on typography: Thinking With Type by Ellen Lupton is awesome, though a beginner may not find the order of presentation the best. Start with the "Type Crimes" section at the back.

Older magazines worth looking at: Portfolio, the older Esquires

Current magazines worth looking at: Print, How, Communication Arts, U&lc (UPPER & lower case). Finding design annuals of these is a particularly effecient way to see what's going on in graphic design now.

Sep 12, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
siggy

I'll second Ellen Lupton - she presents information on graphic design in an easy to understand way that makes one appreciate it. she has a few fun books - I think D.I.Y. or something like that is one I have by her.

There are some good color palette books too, that are just filled with colors and different combinations to match "moods" (for lack of better word) that have helped me jump start some projects in the past.

Sep 12, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

In regards to your first question, Rationalist, I am interested in all of those areas. I know there probably won't be any one book that would tell me everything I need to know, but it sounds like there are some good options to help me broaden my base of information. Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, everyone.

Sep 12, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

this is a great list

from youworkforthem

Sep 12, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: