Archinect
anchor

engineering bloby buildings

mdler

I have recently been asking my fellow architects who are more in tune to 'blobs' than I how one goes about engineering as well as getting the engineering passed through a building department in order to get a permit for these buildings.

In the future, I feel that getting the building department to understand the complex, non-traditional engineering requirements of these buildings is going to be a HUGE ISSUE.

Thoughts....

Sep 11, 07 1:29 pm

doesn't the computer do it?

Sep 11, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that is what I was wondering myself. And if it does, do you just tell your local plancheck engineer that the computer took care of things and all is good???

Sep 11, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

You could proberly use 3d-h.

Sep 11, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

What you tend to find is that there's usually a lot of rationality underneath all the blobby stuff - well at least the blobby stuff that gets built. Look under the hood and you'll see straight 3m wide escape corridors, regular fire stairs ...etc.

Sep 11, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
TED

well if your talking what i call 'slice and dice blobs' [see greg lynn really dumb stuff like embrio house] where you take a blob and slice it -- thats pretty straight forward engineering.

for something such as a grid shell, monoque or a stress skin structure - 'FEA' finite element analysis is the only way to go - form found aka frei otto. even with non-blob buildings an engineer will often utilize FEA as it generally improve the structure [lighter] over load tables.

code authorities take printout calcs and results to verify structure. its time consuming for an engineer to run these and the will probably ask for some xtra $$$

Sep 11, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a former coworker of mine worked on the structural engineering for fog's project at bard college. if i remember correctly he said he worked on it for a coupla years. he was also quite impressed with gehry's peeps.

Sep 11, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

yeah, let Per drop some ideas on it

Sep 11, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
r

the blob is dead

the facatte is showing its mortality

long live the box

Sep 11, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I don't know why organic forms havn't catched on as you would expect, but there proberly are many resons ; who the architects are, the tools and manufactoring avaible, ---- if these things meet in the right point in time , as everything is possible we know that, and maybe 3dh would be a primitiv way if efford making other types of computer generated, projected structure is develobed. True it also could become easier, to get permit , as if you know what a bit skilled programming can do, then it's easy to emagine a computed test of masses and forces displayed in numbers and colors for any, any possible computer generated structure. that don't need to be far away, and it don't need to be 3dh , many more options are avaible .
Still it has to be a decision what volumes and what scales, the details and what is possible, estimates , tests, and , it still could be some years, before the right method can challance the cheapest of today's options. But first of all we need the new skilled young architects to maneage all this.

Sep 11, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
phat

is this guy real?

Sep 11, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

meta

In LA, it is a pain to get a 'regular square' building through the bldg dept in terms of structural cals, etc. Until the guys and gals in the building department are educated in the advanced structual systems that these forms generate/use/require, I am curious how permits will be pulled.

This may be one reason (amoung many) that most of the blobby/faceted projects are created as installations????

Sep 11, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i thought everyone in LA built blobby buildings

Sep 11, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I've wondered this too when most the engineers I worked with in LA were still "showing all their work" by hand, most of the plan checkers too. (this was all for single family residential, before y'all freak out) So is there an 'A' team in the bldg dept to tackle the tough stuff?

le boss-
there's only one or two blobby buildings in LA, everyone may design them, not many are actually building them.

Sep 11, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

i'm thinking that fat engineers are needed.

Sep 12, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: