Archinect
anchor

What would you change about your architecture school?

ostrowski

In light of curiously increasing issues that plague architecture schools today, what would you change about the design of your school?

For example: it could be the cleanliness, closeness to campus, materials, layout, style, form, sustainability, space and size, uniqueness, construction methods, tectonics,

...and particularly, the planning and overall programming of the building.

(Personally, what I would change about our school would be:

1. Semi-covered courtyard to reduce the terrible sunlight that hits some of the benches and western windows.

2. Better lighting and acoustics in our dreary computer lab.

3. A library closer to the architecture building, with nicer personal reading spaces near the stacks.

4. A more centralized, linear office placed closer to the studios for students to reach their busy professors.

5. A coffee shop in the arch. building.)

Don't forget to tell us which school you're from!

Sep 10, 07 5:23 pm
le bossman

well, which architecture school are you from

Sep 10, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
ostrowski

University of Texas in Austin

Sep 10, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

USC....

*more space (since taken care of)
*somehow shuffled the SoA nearer to the Policy Planning & Development building
*new HVAC system
*needs one really good, visible installation space
*make it greener

Sep 10, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
ostrowski

More bathroom grouting for graffiti always helps too...

Sep 10, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
Sep 10, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Schools of architecture should have lockers, showers and 24-hour food service. Seriously, I can't imagine why any school of architecture would try to function without these necessities. As you can probably guess...my school did not have these things.

Sep 10, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
ostrowski

I wish our school practiced early morning stretch exercises in the studio.

But yeah, the nearness of healthy or even available food is pretty irritating.

After 8 semesters of architecture studios, I've decided the all-nighters are just not worth it, so now I live 2 blocks from it. So easily to go home and cook. This doesn't really interrupt my designing I believe, because I'm so close, it's always on my mind.

Sep 10, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i can't believe you have complaints about UT Austin's building. i went there to visit and it's one of the nicest architecture buildings i've ever seen. trust me, i've toured 7. you should appreciate it more, god knows they hate out of state folk.

Sep 10, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

ostrowski - youve got it easy - trust me!

What wouldn't I change about NYiT Central Islip? Sheesh!

-I woulnt of closed it down
-How about some freakin' Dorms
-more computers
-more studio space
-paper/ink in the damn plotters
-card swipping device in the studios(so the local yokles dont steal my shit)
-24/7 access to the woodshop
-laptops provided at second/third year w/ all neccessary programs (this gives everyone equal starting positions)
-MORE GIRLS
-mandatory drafting classes(first year...and third year for those slacker ass peeps that dont know a section from their elbow)
-3am BBQ's on studio nites (gives you something to work for)
-Heat in the Studio
-Wall openings w/ windows in them!!!(HOLY CRAP!!!)
-No animals in the studio(damn squirrels and birds are always chewin and peckin at my models)
-personally ive always opted for more pin-up space but was never herd (i always had a 10-15' section to pin up...usually i would hang it from the ceiling or lay it on the floor)
-a dean that doesnt have her head up her ass
-More professors like Michele Bertomen, and Pete Dawson!!!!!!!!!

-...tumbleweed... - we didnt have vending machines in our building b/c on the late nites people would knock the damn things over and steal all the food...one person ruins it for everyone!

Sep 10, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

not being a piece of shit Eisenman building

Sep 10, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

actually (besides the above post) one of the things that I would have liked to have had in my school building was more access to all of the other departments (Art + Design) facilities. While I was at school, there were milling machines and other facilities that each department was very protective of. I know that there are reasons for this (funding, etc), but it would have been nice to take advantage of all of the resources at hand.

It would have also liked to be able to have more interaction will the other departments (engineering, construction managemnet, nursing) on a day to day (or night to night in the case of nursing) basis

Sep 10, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

yeah mdler! I had to use my resources pretty well at NYiT cause the engineering school has a machine shop that they were very protective of. I made friends w/ the Head engineering professor(i kinda had to bash the architecture profession a bit but it worked) He would let me come down stairs and tool around w/ the cnc lathe and other cnc contraptions after hours!

Sep 10, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

cheaper tuition
- upenn.

and knowlton replaced the old horse stables that I enjoyed during my undergrad days...

Sep 10, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

you know, I knew exactly which school ostrowski was from as soon i read the initial comment. Of course, I did go there too. I hardly think there's a need to cover the courtyard... you can figure out ways to create you own shade, no?
Also, seeing how long you've been there, you surely frequented Metro coffee shop right across the street. I heard it closed down a year ago. But I could be wrong; in that case, I would cherish the idea of walking out of studio and into the open (!!!) for 5 minutes to get coffee (especially if you go home two blocks away to cook anyway; hell, i'd make my own coffee and save the money in that case ;) )
I do agree about the dearth of healthy food, but there is a vegetarian restaurant, pho (vietnamese), that Indian buffet place, and surely you can get some salad in most of the other places...
Better lighting in the computer lab for sure!
The library is two buildings away!!! I sense a common theme here....although it definitely needs better reading spaces in those stacks. We're talking metal cubicles on metal grating, and if you drop your pencil, well, it's lost forever.

just don't drop the pencil...

Sep 11, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

we had lockers/showers, etc. one of the grad students acutally lived there.

Sep 11, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I wouldn't change anything at Oregon. I liked our brutalist building a lot. I guess I would make it so that all of the studios are in that part and not down in the cages. More display/review rooms would have been nicer though.

I did here they did away with free B/W letter and tabloid printing. That was a life saver. There were 24 hour food places a block away so food was never an issue.

I kinda miss Lawrence

Sep 11, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: