Archinect
anchor

favorite train station???

WonderK

Every time I go looking for a thread that seems really obvious, I can't find anything on it.

Anyway, here's one of mine, even though I've never seen it in person.

I'm trying to remember what Rotterdam's train station looks like, but I can't. I figure it must be really awesome like the rest of the city....anyone have pictures?

Anyway, let's see them.....your favorite train stations. And....go.

Sep 10, 07 2:10 am
Katze

I fav Milan's train station

Sep 10, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Gosh that one is gorgeous, isn't it? There are some great pics on Flickr of it....

Sep 10, 07 3:09 am  · 
 · 
o d b

Rotterdam's station is kind of disappointing except for the main station building, which is a cool building from the 1950's that feels more like inter-war period fascist architecture in some respects. You can see some pics here: link

At the moment the entire station plaza is under redevelopment. the design by west 8 and benthem crouwel can be seen here: link

Sep 10, 07 4:32 am  · 
 · 
binary

the beat detroit train station.....ended service in 1989 i believe

http://www.glaserproductions.com/trainstation2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/americajr/news/DSC02090.JPG

Sep 10, 07 7:34 am  · 
 · 

always st pancras:

though i like stuttgart's pretty well, too:

Sep 10, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
dandharma

Melbourne Southern Cross Station

Sep 10, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Union Station in Toronto.

Sep 10, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

steven,

i like how they plopped a Mercedes emblem on top of that station.

Sep 10, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, well stuttgarters are pretty proud of THEIR mercedes.

Sep 10, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i like the elder saarinen's national romantic helsinki train station...

Sep 10, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i also really like the current detroit amtrak station over on baltimore avenue. it's pretty ghetto and the white castle across the street is perfectly situated

Sep 10, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

doesnt get much better than this...

Sep 10, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my favorite train wreck....

Sep 10, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
obelix
Sep 10, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Staghorn....not bad. Where is that?

Sep 10, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
Staghorn....not bad. Where is that?

Orsay Museum, Paris... formerly a train station, turned into a museum by Gae Aulenti

Sep 10, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oops.. more Aulenti

Sep 10, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

and also... Musée d'Orsay

it's pretty beautiful inside.. I visited it some time ago.. quite near to the Louvre, right across the Seine, if I remember correctly

Sep 10, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Medit, thanks! I thought it looked familiar. I've been there and really liked it but I couldn't place it as a train station.....

Sep 10, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oh, lots of 19/early20th ct stations in Europe look, more or less, like Gare d'Orsay (here's something about its previous function as a railroad station for the 1900 Exposition Universelle) ...

Barcelona's main station in the early 20th ct was also a little bit like that (with the particularity of being curved).. maybe less ornamented, but with very fine details similar to those of the iron architecture of the late 19th... and just like Orsay, it's waiting now to be rehabilitated for another use (maybe a library):

Sep 10, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, that one's really nice! That second interior photo looks like a painting.

Sep 10, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. dandharma....don't think I didn't notice that Melbourne gem you slipped in up there! Never seen that one before. Gorgeous. Got any interior shots?

Sep 10, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i like the exterior, the text, and the subtle copper hue of this train station in berlin

Möckernbrücke

Sep 10, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what about these?

it is a bizarre and obsessive, but most architectural of all hobbies

Sep 10, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

Anyone for Florence?

Sep 10, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

frank furness did some beautiful small railroad stations for philadelphia and reading railroad co. around 1880's on to turn of the century.
i personally went to see graver's, chesnut hill station. a lot of them demolished.

Sep 10, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
some person

DC Metro.

lb: cue your article about concrete.

Sep 10, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Mdler – what station is that? The building, not the blonde :) BTW, I heard that act she did in that pic was lip-synced – WTF???

WK – yeah, Flikr has a lot of great pics on the Milan station. Check out these cool pics of train stations as well

I especially like this one -Oriente Station in Lisbon

Sep 10, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Stadelhofen by Calatrava. I've never been there - has anyone been there? Just from the photos I don't know what to make of it.

Sep 10, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

there are some beautiful pics on the Stadelhofen here
...its quite captivating. Haven't been.

Sep 10, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
aaandrew

I thought the Florence station was pretty weak, personally.

I was impressed by Atocha in Madrid.

Kyoto is also pretty nifty, if for nothing else besides the statue of Astro Boy.

Sep 10, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Ah, Cincinnati! Beautiful station and graphic design! Thanks tumbles…

Sep 11, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

the swiss basel station is interesting

and then you get all the buildings close by - the peter merien haus, auf dem wolf by h+dem...

i spent about 2 hours at the stadelhofen station.
30 minutes was intense questioning from smurf-looking police thugs that had broken up a riot/protest at the kunstmuseum. because i wasn't dressed as a tourist, they thought i might have been one of the protestors.
that and the giant black tripod poking out of my backpack made me look somewhat suspicious.

but beyond that, i really liked the project - i think it's one of the better projects by calatrava. i'm not so hot on his kinetic constructs.

Sep 11, 07 3:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ban's tazawako station is another i'll have to visit.

Sep 11, 07 3:18 am  · 
 · 
TED

Sevilla (Spain) - Santa Justa Train Station cruz/ortiga

Sep 11, 07 6:58 am  · 
 · 
Medit

^ TED, those are Cruz & Ortiz, they have some interesting and beautiful works, the Santa Justa -like most of their work- is "very" Moneo...

actually, in spanish this is an "ortiga"... and it stings you for your pains... :P :

Sep 11, 07 7:09 am  · 
 · 
TED

it was getting near lunch and i was longing for a good mexican....

but this is the moneo i know in madrid[Atocha] - the photos above dont do it justice!

Sep 11, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 
obelix
Sep 11, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

more on St Pancras

Sep 12, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
AP

puddles - helsinki saarinen is a favorite of mine as well.

staghorn - clever pic, orsay makes a great [re-purposed] museum.

DCA - i also appreciate the concrete vault of the DC stations...

not sure why, but i kinda like the Venice station.

Sep 12, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

dammson, Möckernbrücke is great, as are a number of the other above ground u-bahn stations (my favorites are hallesches tor, gleisdreieck and warschauerstrasse) and of course the great big s-bahn stations like hackescher markt.

hallesches tor:

Sep 12, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

no one mentioned grand central?
[img]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/44/028_4229~Grand-Central-Station-c-1930-Posters.jpg[/imag]

Sep 12, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

oops...

Sep 12, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

grand central's main waiting area is good. where the trains wait sucks though. feels just like penn station, like a rat hole.

Sep 12, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It's hard to build train stations like those hangar like ones in cramped midtown manhattan. Grand central's the best station I've been in. The ones in Beijing and Shanghai aren't that great.

Sep 13, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
gs11

santa maria novella - florence it

Sep 13, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

in all of the big german stations, going to the train feels like a luxury. in new york, it feels like a navigation through the sewer system. density isn't the problem. you don't need a high ceiling to have a nice train station. you just need to design it well.

Sep 13, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: