Archinect
anchor

I dont mean to sound dumb

Impress(C)

Yes

Just in need of a quick guideline from people who cared opening my thread. For intermediate school year (2nd and 3rd year), we will be working mostly from home as school does not provide studio spaces. Does the room size i rent matter as in will i be needing a big room, as suggested by classmates?

My small room can fit queen size and table and 1 chest, w lil walking space.

The rental differs greatly in the uk so i need to make a wise move. Done. replies can be made short and succicnt thx.

Riez

Sep 7, 07 4:40 pm
shaner

id want at least a 4x8 table. for my comp, sketching, and model making. or a drafting table with a very small computer desk would work too.. can you fit either of these in your room?

Sep 7, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i have a friend in london who's apartment is the size of my closet.

Sep 7, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Impress(C)

Yes In fact i can fit a queen size, drafting table, and a wardrobe.
But definitely nothing extra. Been hovering over this issue for a while since classmates said we might need extra spaces to work on big models (possibility) or storage for it.

So it actually means is it a neccessity for architectural students to get bigger rooms.

furthermore there is no where else in the house i could use- not living room (converted to another bedroom) nor kitchen. (

Sep 7, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
jae

be sure to leave room in the corner for your meth lab. nothing pisses me off more than having to re-arrange a room to accomidate my dependencies

Sep 7, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I say go with a small living quarters and collectively rent out a studio space. I mean if you split it it wont be that much more, and then if you get a small place then that would offset it a bit. I never liked working at home to much. that really sucks for you guys. good luck. make sure to maintain your intensity.

Sep 7, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Can you get by with a smaller bed? And what about ceiling height: can you build a loft, either to put a mattress on (this might be good, because you can work under it and keep the bed clear of model-building materials, paper, food containers, etc so when you're beyond exhaustion you don't have to clean up before dropping into much-deserved sleep) or to store the completed models/supplies etc.?

This imght be a quick design project for you, making this room as efficient a space as possible...

Sep 7, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Perhaps you could build your own Murphy bed.

Sep 7, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

be like proust and do all your work in bed...

Sep 8, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Impress(C)

Oh thats true! Will think of selling the queen and get a single instead. )

Sep 8, 07 4:19 am  · 
 · 
shaner

woah.. slow down there.. its hard to bring the girls back to a single bed.. make sure you have your priorities straight!

Sep 8, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

I lofted my queen bed since I'm working with about a 9.5'x9.5' room. Actually works pretty well, the space below is just about the perfect footprint for a good drafting desk/computer table and a little drawer for supplies. If a loft is doable with your ceiling heights I would recommend it, pretty much doubles your space with a large bed/small room scenario. If you just do the loft down and dirty you can put it up in a day, at the most over a weekend.

Sep 8, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

as a man who has put together models in a NYC apartment/hotel room/dorm I highly suggest getting the biggest space you can afford.

Sep 9, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

a loft bed really diminishes the possiblities kama sutrally speaking...

Sep 9, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

or you could do a reverse loft. Build a platform over your bed that you can put a desk on, never seen it done before except in Seinfeld

Sep 9, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: