Archinect
anchor

What to do in Seattle & Portland

firebird

I'm gonna be in Seattle and Portland for a week and I wanted to know what is the best use of my time. Things to see, both architectural and other, what to do. And not to do.
I know about EMP and the Rem library, but what else?
Anything interesting in Portland?

thanx

Sep 6, 07 11:00 am
holz.box

skip the emp. you should go up the space needle and try to projectile vomit on it - it is that vile.

as for other things, there have been extensive postings. just do a little search

for seattle:
Ballard Branch Library (BCJ)
Brouwer's Cafe (bjarko|serra, in fremont)
Seattle Center Fischer Pavilion (miller hull)
SAM (allied works)
Lawrimore Project (lead pencil studio)
City Hall (BCJ)
Frye Art Gallery (olson sundberg kundig allen - free)
St. Ignatius Chapel (steven holl)
Southwest Branch Library (a terrible oska project)
Douglass-Truth Branch Library (schacht aslani)
Capitol Hill Branch Library (cutler anderson)
Northgate Library (miller hull)

Sep 6, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i personally liked the EMP...not the building perse..but the
experience around it...no pun intended. there was a roller
coaster right behind it and the distorted reflections in the metal
were amazing.

i also saw a MOE concert inside and that was also well worth
it...that and having a drink at the bar made it a pretty successful
trip.

Sep 6, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

more Seattle...

*Olympic Sculpture Park
*Freeway park (hit it right before or after the central library)
*Greenlake, if you're into nature-type stuff

Sep 6, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

In Portland, you should try to get into the Weiden+Kennedy central atrium (Allied Works.) It's an incredible space, but they keep tight security.

The new tram up to OHSU (Angelil Graham) is worth the ride, if only for the stunning views of Mount Hood.

The new Portland Art Museum extension (Ann Beha) has some cramped and weird spaces, but it's still worth seeing--they have some good pieces in their collection.

Powell's Books is not to be missed. Best bookstore on the planet, IMHO.

For a night out, Doug Fir (Skylab) is a cool bar, done in a kind of retro-modern timberlodge style. Le Happy is a nice place for late-night crepes--feels like it's out of the movie Delicatessen.

Sep 6, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also in pdx:

Sacks residence 2281 nw glisan
Allied works

Weiden kennedy 224 NW 13th Avenue
Allied works

Belmont lofts - 3442 Se Belmont St
Holst architecture

Sep 6, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Fuck Doug Fir, worst yuppie/hipster mix in PDX. Le Pigeon down the block, however; one of the great dining experiences I've had.

Sep 6, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
firebird

thanx a lot guys.

Sep 6, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hey, don't forget union jacks in pdx...

Sep 6, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

buy French bread and drink coffee.

Sep 6, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and of course must visit Pike Place market in Seattle. The little hole-in-the-wall place behind the spiral staircase has the world's best clam chowder breadbowls. Mmmmm, I can't wait to get one the week after next!!!

Sep 6, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
here

is the same thread from when i went to seattle...

Sep 6, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

i had a really enjoyable day while i was there... my wife and i rode the bus from our downtown hotel (hotel max) over to the south end of the arboretum... we started out at the japanese garden and then walked our way all the way to the northern edge of the arboretum to the visitor's center... then we walked from there through a nice neighborhood and across a bridge to the UW campus... we had lunch at a bar on campus (while watching the US play in the world cup) and then went to the henry art gallery and the james turrell skyspace... from there we hopped on a bus down to gasworks park where it happened to be the fremont fair (what luck!)...

Sep 6, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

and while at the market stop in at delaurenti's. They have the best selection of cheeses and cured meats in the city that includes cured meats from Salumi.

Sep 6, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

i would suggest spending about 25% of your time in the city and the rest in the mountains/beach/rivers that surround both areas

but if i was to come to seattle again i would go to:
central library
market
space needle for a sunset
olympic sculpture park
and drive through all the neighborhoods

city parks:
discovery
freeway
gasworks --maybe

Sep 7, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Adamus

Do as the locals do: Munch on granola, skip showering, put on some patchouli oil, complain about the government and big business, sport a "North Face" jacket and some Nike shoes, drink some Starbucks and look at yourself and be in denial of what a hypocrite you are.

Sep 13, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

REI

Sep 13, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

If you want a real taste of great high modern architecture, drive about an hour south of Portland, to the Mount Angel Monastery.

The library was designed by Alvar Aalto -- his only U.S. building, I believe, except for Baker Hall at MIT. And it's beautiful. When it's open, anyone can wander around it. The monastery grounds are a great place for a picnic, too.

Sep 13, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: