Archinect
anchor

The Remembrance of Minoru Yamasaki

iaakuza

It was 6 years already that the world's tragedy was happened. But in each year people, especially architectural students, always remind Minoru Yamasaki only his misadventurous projects.

- Both were totally dimolished into the dust.

The first was claimed by Charles Jenks that it is the day modernism died

The second was the beginning of 21st century by historians' attitude. -

Although this Japanese-American architect won the American Institute of Architects' First Honor Award three times.

Anonymous said: "Minoru Yamasaki was a brilliant architect, just unfortunate"

Let's celebrate and tell each other about his other great projects that you admire!!!

my old article about tragedy of his works:
http://iaakuza.blogspot.com/2007/07/2-tragedies-of-minoru-yamasaki.html

Sep 6, 07 10:47 am
Apurimac

Actually I feel like bumping this thread, because, while the twin towers weren't the most beautiful or most urban-friendly towers to go up in NYC they were pretty nonetheless and Yamasaki was perfectionist I have a soft spot in my heart for.

I mean, the guy worked his ass to the bone, made hundreds of big models of the WTC, had never designed a major tower before (i think) and stressed so much over the project he got an ulcer. It's been a few weeks since the anniversary and I miss his towers everytime I see my skyline. They might have been oddballs when they were built, all cool and steely against the stone chizeled (sp) skyline of gotham but I think they were quite beautiful. Yamazaki, like his buildings, was victim to a world that never quite understood their meaning or genius.

Oct 1, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Amen to that…

Oct 1, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

here in seattle, he's well known for several other projects

pacific science center:

rainier tower (shades of the structural system for wtc towers):

poor guy also worked on the pruitt-igoe:

and was he japanese-american? pretty sure he was born in seattle.

Oct 1, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

michigan consolidated gas building, detroit. he ran his studio out of the detroit suburb of troy for many years and left the city with many fine buildings.

Oct 1, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

The Montgomery (Formerly Wards HQ):
Condos!

Oct 1, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

really pretty stuff guys, thanks for posting. I hope iaakuza gets a chance to see this.

Oct 1, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
iaakuza

of course, thanks for all the comments... i commented them in iaakuza blog because i think they are interesting (and i have to confess that i know few things about M. Y.). It was a good opportunity to know this architect better.
The only thing i'd like to add to this conversation is just an idea , a "funny" comparison: the structure of the pacific science center reminds me to the structure of one of vinoli's projects, the interior of the University of Chicago graduate School of Business.
I hope the pic works

Oct 2, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: