Archinect
anchor

TED Talks: On Architecture

ryanj

Prompted by the 'Architects on Charlie Rose' thread...

Architecture/urban design-related talks from TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design). I apologize if this has been covered, as I was unable to locate any previous threads.

Enjoy!

Sep 4, 07 12:21 pm
TED

you mean me? dont you ?

Sep 4, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

i wish.

Sep 4, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

As recommended by Cameron, "The Future We Will Create" covers a lot of the TED talks and includes a funny/humble comment by Joshua Prince-Ramus at the end. I highly recommend it as a rental, in fact, I might even purchase it.

Am I spelling "reccomended" wrong? Firefox has spellcheck, Safari doesn't.

Sep 4, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
philipb

Sry, was "The Future We Will Create" very different from the talks themselves liberty bell? Ive been fascinated by Prince-ramus's talk, was looking for any more of his stuff

Sep 6, 07 6:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's a documentary, so it shows a bit of the stuff happening around/within the conference, and only a few of the talks in toto (is that usage correct?). At the end of the DVD are four (I think?) complete talks, and a good chunk of several of them are included in the documentary itself.

Also, the whole disc is worth it if only for the moment when Al Gore makes a joke that had me hysterically laughing/simultaneously crying that this intelligent man isn't our president.

My husband and I were both so wound up and excited about the world after watching it - when I read about the latest reality shows and get depressed I remind myself that there are also people like TEDsters out there and feel a bit more optimistic.

You don't see much more of JPL in it, except at the very end when he makes some comments re: Cameron's talk - but the whole thing is worth seeing, anyway.

Sep 6, 07 8:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry - not Jet Propulsion Labs...I meant JPR of course....

Sep 6, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

seems like everything i see and read from jpr sounds like it comes from some business book on keeping customers. we have all those books already in our library. now if we could just get some architecture books.

Sep 6, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 

jpr's schtick is the same smoke-and-mirrors that the early modernists used. their version: we want to make these cool planar forms and reference industrial stuff, but people won't do it just because we like it, so we'll talk about health, efficiency, and function, all very rational concerns!

...except now he's gone hyper-rational, of course, this being the 21stC.

Sep 6, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Off topic digression....

vado, I can't believe you read my post and didn't respond with a Youtube Toto video!

Back to the topic....

Sep 6, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

who says i read it? :)

Sep 6, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: