Archinect
anchor

Flip That House!

flipthathouse

My name is John Ziomek and I am a producer on Flip That House. If you are not familiar with our show, it is a documentary TV show about house flipping. We are heading into our fourth season and it is one of the top rated shows on TLC.

We are looking to speak with architects who work with house flippers as well as anyone else associated with house flipping.

Please feel free to contact me via this site. Thanks and have a great day!

John Ziomek
Segment Producer
Flip That House
ACTUALREALITY.TV

Aug 29, 07 5:44 pm
binary

detroit WHAT!!!

Aug 29, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

this should be good

Aug 29, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, is this the first time we've been 'cold called' like this? An archinector could be on TV! You could be the next Vern!

Aug 29, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

you could contact the kids at the university of buffalo school of architecture:

Aug 29, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
digger

i didn't know houses had flippers -- i thought they had legs and arms, just like the rest of us.

Aug 29, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Aug 29, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Be careful folks I don't think I've ever seen one of these types of shows including Flip This House ever line up for a permit at the local city hall to do any of the work that gets shown of tv. In my neck of the woods its illegal, but I guess when your "running and gunning to flip that baby in 30 days" you do what you can, however you can.

Not particularly appropriate for a professional to be involved with is it!

Aug 29, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Mr. Ziomek,
What is your view on people flipping houses and setting the housing market in constant motion of inflation, resulting in overpriced housing and rendering many working people unable to afford a modest house?

Aug 29, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

OMG i never wanted to be a dolphin before now, but man oh man...SIGN ME UP!

Aug 29, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

Aug 29, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

my favorite part of the show is when the flipper spent all that time demolishing that perfectly working kitchen trying to make $100,000 and then the show ends without them selling the house

Aug 29, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

I think we also got cold-posted for "The Bachelor" or similar, when they thought they might fancy an architect for the role.

Aug 29, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Now THAT sounds fun!

Aug 29, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

John,

I have never seen the show. Does the show cover the big picture of community based scales of economies?
Is it socially conscious in anyway?

This would be a good time to expound on those things, I think, unless you want more dolphin jokes.

"House flipping gets a bad reputation when speculators start disrupting local housing markets, especially in hot markets. Groups of speculators can come into an already hot market and abnormally drive housing pricing up even further by the helter skelter buying and selling homes to realize quick profits. Like locusts to cornfields, housing affordability is quickly eaten away. In the early 1990s, runaway speculation helped fuel a recession in Texas."

from - http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/wiki/Flip_This_House.asp

Aug 29, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i know for a fact that these people also have to get permits etc. I knew this mofo who used to work for 'monster house' or some bs show like that, he used to schlep upto city hall all the time.

Aug 29, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

I'd like to flip a duplex in your program.

Aug 29, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

The show isn't that bad. I've seen it a few times: only 1/2 hour, and the flippers are usually professional. Most are committed not only to making a buck but to producing a quality product for their potential clients.

Aug 29, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I was channel sufring tonight and saw about 4 minutes of something on HGTV where a realtor was showing a woman three different apartments for consideration. The client walkd into one master bedroom and saw one wall was painted bright red. She said "Ooh, I like that. it's very feng shui". I nearly yakked.

I hate "reality" shows.

Aug 29, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

that's why i sold my t.v. 3 years ago.....

tvless since then...... feels good

b

Aug 29, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

What a bunch of haters.

Aug 29, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

jeff lewis does a quality flip

Aug 30, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

I'm with Whistler and old fogey on this one, Architects and Engineers are an unneeded expense and just get in the way.

Aug 30, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

haters, indeed...hahaha, I nearly pee myself every time I see that

"Flip a Duplex"...so funny

That pictures reminds me of those those business cards realtors sometimes have made ..the ones with their pictures of them with silly grins...maybe a little dog with a hat on , in it or something.

John, well maybe there are some 'realtors forums' you can try,...this one doesn't seem so helpful...

"flip a duplex"...that was funny.

Aug 30, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Kill The Brick !!!

Aug 30, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
postal

oldfogey, quality post! (the reality show suggestions)

Aug 30, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

That give me an idea for a show:

" 'Decon' this House "

Aug 30, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 

do you feel better now, meta? i can't say i actually understood what you were getting at, but it was written with a lot of spirit anyway.

Aug 30, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

On the Canadian HGTV they have a show called "Holmes on Homes." He basically comes to the rescue of people that hired shotty contractors. The first half of the show is him showing what was done wrong. Then he usually guts the place and rebuilds it correctly. I like that show because someone could actually learn something from it....like how to hire a good contractor and how they can add real value to a home.

Flip that House is television bile where mostly idiots do shotty work to artificially inflate a homes price. Since 2007 looks the be the first year that home prices in the USA go down I'm sure they are worried their top rated show will soon fail. When John Q Mortgage out there is in foreclosure it'll be tough for him to get pumped up about watching someone trying to inflate the cost of a home.

Aug 30, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

chris teeter is on the brink.

Aug 30, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, vado, that bad/good a pun gets a giggly delighted booooo from me...

Aug 30, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

i've watched...well mostly anything on TLC, HGTV, and the likes. Mainly because of my girlfriend. i don't feel the "hatred" expressed above for it. these shows are all over the place.

but i do like the young people who actually care about what the end product is, they actually turn out to be successfull. and the morons who are in it for the money, who do ugly crap, aren't thinking ahead etc., and can't sell the property.

but yeah, anyone a flipper on archinect? i've thought about renovating once i get a bit of capital, but i don't think i would be "flipping" per say.

Aug 30, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Just to add to the already inflamed and angry comments on this board, I was watching a house flipping show on HGTV or one of those the other evening. The first thing that enraged me about it was that the guy who supposedly owned this successful house flipping "company" showed up to the jobsite in a white, shiny, chromed-out Hummer H2. Not only that, but he was wearing a silk shirt, open at the neck, a pair of designer jeans and *clean* Timberlands. If anyone ever showed up to my jobsite dressed like that and asked me for help, I would laugh them back to their car. The second thing they proceeded to do was to go into the house with a can of spray paint and mark all the walls for demolition. This made sense... until you saw the final product. They took the off-kitchen family room and made it roughly half the size it was, so as to increase the size of the master bedroom (a room that, i'm sure most will tell you, they spend roughly 2 hours a day in, awake). By doing this, they needed to move a load-bearing wall, but instead of putting a lam or a w-flange in the ceiling to compensate for the missing wall, they put a column... in the middle of the bedroom. Like, literally right smack in the middle. Also, during the construction process, the owner of the company proceeded to make an even bigger fool of himself by attempting to look smart in front of the contractor, by finding a loose collar tie in a roof and shaking it, telling the contractor that the roof could collapse and that it was "dangerous". Never mind the other 15 ties still in place, that one could be the killer. It literally sickens me the lack of knowledge and foresight these people posess, in order to make a quick buck. THEY are the ones giving design a bad name, while we need to struggle against their shoddy developer crap to barely make ends meet.

Aug 30, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
yoyo_k

some of the work my design firm does is design-build, and i managed a flip house (design and construction). i have to say, it's probably my least favorite kind of project. the client is really only concerned about the bottom line and has very little interest in creating a space of any quality beyond the surface (and why would she - her ONLY goal is profit).

i think "flip that house" is ridiculous. if i'm going to watch a tv show about house flipping, i prefer "property ladder", which consistently shows flips totally bombing. i think it's a more accurate portrayal of the experience.

Aug 30, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

Bottom line is renovations rarely actually make you money its the regional market economy around the real estate that is doing all the work the reno just pushes the house out from teh shadows into a more visible position for resale, in a flat market renovations rarely are worth the effort... I guess we'll just have to see.

Aug 30, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 

... spent the last few days in Brooklyn housing hell: greedy brokers, lying craigslisters, and crappy apartments. Apparently the rental market is so out of control that you see some renters flipping: signing a lease on a place and then immediately putting it on craigslist for more.

How about 'Flip my Shitty Basement Apartment in Red Hook!'

Aug 30, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

these shows are probably in their dying days as the capital for these adventures is drying up fast.

Aug 30, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
flipthathouse

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR GREAT COMMENTS. GOOD LUCK WITH ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS.

Aug 30, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Were we too mean about all this? I feel bad for Mr. Ziomek.

Aug 30, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

I think flipthathouse is a cad monkey. He forgat the caps lock on. Happens all the time. He is one of us... Hehe, hehe,hehe...

Aug 30, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
(IN) Theory

I LOVE THE ALTERNATE SHOW OF FLIP THAT HOUSE. IT'S CALLED FLIP THAT LOAN...

Aug 30, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am still laughing at the "Flip a Duplex" hahahahahha

that was so funny....

Yeah, that poor TV producer...I feel bad too.. he is probably flipping us the duplex right now.hahaha

Archinectors are like a pack of hungry wolves sometimes: cynical, overly critical, indolent, brash, drunken wolves. I love you guys.

Aug 30, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

flip that ghetto

Its funny when they talk about signing and getting everything ready in a week - when its not uncommon for 6 months to go by before the client makes a down payment much less agree the fees

Aug 30, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

reality, hah,

scripted

Aug 30, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: