Archinect
anchor

LA Downtown Standard Interiors

BackSpace

I was recently at the Downtown Standard Hotel in LA. I know it's an Andre Balazs project but do you know who did the interiors? They are really rad. What else has this person done?

Aug 29, 07 11:11 am
A Center for Ants?

i'm fairly sure it was Koenig Eizenberg...

Aug 29, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I though they did the lobby.

Aug 29, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
BackSpace

Someone mentioned it was Jim Walrod. Do you know anything about this guy?

Aug 29, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Walrod

Looks like collaboration.

Aug 29, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

koning eizenberg did the rooftop for sure...

i assume they did a lot of the interiors as well, if not all.

www.kearch.com

Aug 29, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yeah. seems like jim ain't nothin more than an interior desecrator.

Aug 29, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

from the NY Times about him:

''So last night I was at this dinner party, and I got into a fight with this girl -- she called me a decorator.''

His voice rises above its normal soft-spoken register as he says: ''I told her, 'I'm not a decorator -- I don't have a Yorkshire terrier!' She said, 'Well, are you an architect?'

I said no. She said, 'Do you design things?' No. 'You do interiors?' I said yeah. She said, 'Then you're a decorator.' And I said, 'But you don't understand -- I'm not!''

Aug 29, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
B-Hive

The Interior Designer was Shawn Hausman
http://www.shawnhausmandesign.com/

The Architect was Koning Eizenberg and Jim Walrod was a consultant

Aug 29, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Koning Eisenberg did do the whole project, according to their site. Wikipedia says Jim collaborated with Balazs, the developer, on the hotel chain. I wonder if that means they created the idea of the hotels and commissioned the design to various firms for the various locations.

Aug 29, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

This is inaccurate...

Koening Eizenberg are the filing architects. They did NOT do the exteriors or interiors. Jim Walrod designed the interiors with Shawn Hausman.

Word on the street is that Walrod is doing the interiors of the new Allen St. hotel on the LES, Gold St Hotel in the Financial District, and 60 Thompson St Hotel in Soho. Seems like this guy has some large commission. He is the real deal.

Sep 4, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: