Archinect
anchor

exterior laminate panels with an image on it

marmkid

Has anyone ever come across an exterior grade laminate panel system that can have an image on it? I am working on a project now where the client wants a large image on this wall, and I need to find a potential alternative. The only product I have found so far is ABET Laminati, which allows you to screen an image into the panel.

I suppose the next question naturally, is if anyone has worked on any sort of project where you had a large image on an exterior wall? I was hoping to have something of higher quality than painting it on

Thanks

Aug 28, 07 5:08 pm
strlt_typ

Aug 28, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

vinyl wrap...

Aug 28, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

VINYL WRAP: CRAP....THE NEXT LAYER OF GRAFITTI....BY THE WHITE GUY!

Aug 28, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

You could look at Fundermax...
It's a phenolic core panel with essentially a laminate for exteriors.

I think they will will do custom images for a basic set up fee. (depends on quantity ordered and such I imagine).

=Facades&tx_gooffotoboek_pi1[fid]=33&cHash=c73a638735]http://fundermax.at/index.php?id=45&L=5&tx_gooffotoboek_pi1[srcdir]=Facades&tx_gooffotoboek_pi1[fid]=33&cHash=c73a638735

Aug 28, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

I didn't think you could use Abet Laminati, or any high pressure laminate on the exterior of a building.

Aug 28, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

check transmaterial. i'm sure this has been covered multiple ways.

--

separate thought: how about etching the image in with some sort of chemical wash?

or how about a layer adhered to the inside face of a glass panel? isn't that what 2x4 did at rem's iit student center?

Aug 28, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

thanks for the ideas guys, really helpful
i will be sure to check out those materials when i get into work tomorrow

steven
i had thought about etching somehow, but need to research exactly how it would be done
that could be a cheaper solution than Abet, which is going to be quite pricey
and you can use it on the exterior, they have an exterior grade panel now, i am not sure if it is new or not

thanks again

the inside glass is also a good idea, except it is wrapped around a stair tower, with no glass

Aug 28, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmmm.... along the lines of etched glass, h&dem ricola factory w/ images silk screened onto polycarbonate, which might not be the look you were going for but an interesting effect in and of itself.

for some reason i was reminded of the work of anne black (DK) who's quite adeft at silk screens herself...

Aug 29, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
khalil

is that what are u looking for ????

Aug 29, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

possible something like that khalil

what material is that?

essentially, i have a stair tower that is part precast and part block. I need to clad it in a material that allows me to have an image on it. thats why the abet laminate panels worked out, but i wanted to find some other possibilities as well

Aug 29, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
khalil

marmkid

The choices are limited but try to fabricate it, also make sure that abet would do it ...

check this for the details of the meterial
www.membranbau.ch

also try

www.laminex.com.au

i am not sure but they might find something for you

Aug 29, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

thanks khalil, and everyone else who responded

abet does do it, i have been talking with them about it for some time now with this project, so if anyone ever needs something similar, they can do it
unfortunately, it might be a little too expensive for my client, which is why i am seeking alternatives

Aug 29, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
nilla

Have you looked at a company called Arpa?

Aug 29, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
some person
Panelite

was used on Rem's Campus Center project at IIT.

Aug 29, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

I know I'm thread necromancing here but fwiw:

Cassandra Complex - Newman House (above)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson Clements Burrows - Old House (below)

"This project is located in an inner city suburb of Melbourne Australia and provides a response to the difficulty of making of architecture in heritage zones. The site was controlled by a Heritage overlay which favoured the retention of existing dwellings. In response to the clients desire to demolish the existing house, we proposed a strategy to replace the dilapidated cottage with a new house integrated within a supergraphic image of its former self. The strategy appropriately preserved the streetscape context and presented an opportunity for a more remarkable architectural solution. The project attempts to elevate the difficulties of obtaining planning approvals in heritage areas into a sublime and ironic gesture which may generate debate about the problem itself. In this sense it is both a critique of the process and a surreal architectural solution which is evocative of the site's memory and historical context."

webpage here

Sep 10, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: