Archinect
anchor

recessed gutter

bodo1422

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding some recessed gutter details and/or resources? I want to avoid a standard clip-on gutter and have about 24" overhang to work with in a fairly standard wood rafter/ply/standing seam roof.

Aug 28, 07 10:31 am
cadalyst

Aug 28, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
4arch

that's not a recessed gutter

Aug 28, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
4arch

check the smacna manual. they have lots of gutter details. recessed or built-in gutters are usually completely custom so there aren't going to be a lot of "standard" details out there so I'm not really sure where else to point you.

i generally don't recommend built-in gutters. a lot of times better eave and soffit detailing can take care of the awkwardness created by surface mounted gutters.

Aug 28, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 

yeah... i think that you're just gonna have to detail it yourself... i don't really think that there is a standard detail... as 4arch said, smacna is probably the place to look... or talk with your roofing or sheet metal sub...

Aug 28, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

the cadalyst needs a detail check

Aug 28, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

There's an internal gutter detail in graphic standards. We use internal gutters all the time. We've changed the detail slightly though.

Aug 28, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

when you google image search 'recessed gutter' the pic cadalyst posted is one that shows up...

yeah, i just looked at the graphic standards also and they have some details in there...they call it 'concealed gutter'.

Aug 28, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Anyone else love the SMACNA book?

I have the older version where all of the flashing is rendered in a metallic silver. I believe the newer versions show the flashing as a grey ink tone.

Aug 28, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's my bible...

Aug 28, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i just love walking around the office muttering "where's the SMACNA?"

Aug 28, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

i had nothing to do this morning, and it was the first picture on google <shrug>

personally, recessed gutters suck

Aug 28, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

If you are in a freezing environment then you'll need to detail integral gutter flashing to run-up the roof a considerable amount due to ice damming, as those gutters fill with snow and stop draining away the water. Also, they condensate alot on the underside and that water shouldn't simply drip into the soffit.
There are architectural gutter profiles that may make your life easier....
or you can figure out a way to hang a barge board/fascia in front of the gutter to hide it and still keep the water management on the exterior of the building.

Aug 28, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

ooooh .. sexy

Aug 28, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

For years, Hugh Newell Jacobsen created recessed roof gutters on roof forms like this:

They were exceptionally clean details.

I seem to recall that Architectural Record published a number of his construction details some time ago -- I'm guessing it was during the early-to-mid 80s -- including a recessed gutter detail. If you have access to a good architectural library, you might want to look up that back issue.

Aug 28, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Free ramus & Quiz dem is some sexy things. Pity they'd never get passed by our building codes, our rafters have to rest on and/or pass through the header or ring beam.

Aug 28, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

drw blocking, drw plywood, flashing, sheet metal, roofing membrane - shake well.

make it up. isn't that what we're paid to do?

Aug 28, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Aug 28, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
outed

you can also look at the 'roof construction manual' by birkhauser (put out by the folks at detail magazine). it has a few european examples that are very, very nice.

Aug 28, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Freeman

go to http://www.mmsystemscorp.com/index2.html

Sep 3, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: