Archinect
anchor

Another Portfolio thread

Roshi

http://issuu.com/garypkp88/docs/garypolkportfolio/1

Few things to consider:

- Content is exclusively from my 4 year Bachelors of Science in Arch program from UIC.

- Made for general purposes. I considered applying for my Masters, then decided I want to get some professional experience before heading back to studio after 4 years of undergrad. Used this for employment, got a job last month. However, I don't think the portfolio is what sold me, as my interviewer (now my Boss/Mentor) said to me during the interview that although my portfolio is good, he is more interested in my Auto-CAD skills and my knowledge of sheet compilation, construction drawing, and detail experience. Intern life, I know.

- Sheet size is 6 x 9. It feels better in hand, and stands out a little from all of the 8.5 x 11 portfolios I saw people make. I understand many Masters programs have a required page size, so I can easily modify.

- General idea of the layout is to be very minimal in format and leave as much page space to the drawings as possible. I know the text looks very thin and hard to see at times, I am working to fix that.

- The lines look a little jagged from being uploaded to Issue. I don't know if I'm the only one with this program, but it gives it a slightly messy, blurry look. I hope you guys can get past it.

I know these threads are made very often. I would really appreciate anyone who can give me some constructive feedback. Comment are welcome too!

Dec 15, 12 3:30 pm

Hey Gary,

Overall I think it's nice. 

1. Cover is kinda blah. Why hexagons? Don't get me wrong, I love hexagons, but to me it seems like a rather generic cover and sort of uninspiring. Doesn't come across as minimalist as you say your layout should be.

2. Table of contents!! *shields eyes from random bars of highlighting* A very well organized hierarchy of typographic choices will make a much clearer impression than color coding.

3. I would reconsider your sans-serif font, or try for something with a bit more body and impact. Also, are you printing your portfolio? If so, the text might be a tad large. I wouldn't go much higher than 10pt as a body font for print.

4. I don't know if I understand the statics on hammock prism. I could be wrong but something strikes me as unintuitive about the way you draw the stretched edges as curves. What kind of internal forces are causing the (presumably) malleable surfaces to draw together in the center? Well, that's just a side note I guess. 

5. Cool project in Berlin. Maybe one of those images could make it to the front cover?

best wishes!

Dec 16, 12 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

Stephanie,

1. I can see what you mean about the cover. I will consider other options, I thought of including one of my project drawings as a cover but then I do not really want to make it seem like I prioritize a project. They all have their own strengths that I want to show, so my cover was going to be separate, but still somehow convey my philosophy.

2. I think you are right, the table of contents should change. However, I think it was a nice coincidence that all 5 projects had a distinct color scheme (I noticed it going into my 4th year and sort of chose colors that both worked and were new). I think I can still color code it and simplify it.

3. The font should be worked on, I agree.

4. I actually had diagrams that convey the stretching and wrapping, directionality and forces, but it wasn't one of my better diagrams. I will rework it and try to fit it in. I can see how it can be confusing.

5. Thank you!

Dec 16, 12 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Kamu Kakizaki

Gary - 

You have nice stuff and your projects have a consistant voice. I'm curious what you mean by 'general portfolio' though, because i don't think this would appeal to a potential employer or m.arch programs. what i'm trying to say its a little iffy because the audience is not specific. 

i like how you have a consistant layout but this something with the large text and colored highlights that bug me. why not bolder text without the colored highlight? also, the title is in the middle of the spread so you eyes have to move to the center, then left, then right. its easier if you have the title on the far left so you eye flows in one direction. 

content wise - i'd consider putting in more technical drawings (especially for employment). any sketches of details, construction documents, 3d axo exploded stuff. i'm actually a big fan of well oft details/wall sections. 

agreeing with stephanie, instead of the hexagon put in an image abstracted from your geometric projects. you have a lot of interesting geometry, its just a little sad the cover is a dumbed down pattern. 

good luck! 

Dec 18, 12 4:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: