Archinect
anchor

hypoglycemic...wtf

binary

figured out i have been hypoglycemic for a while now....wtf....

so my insulin spikes everytime i eat something..... anyone have any suggestions.....

i'm all ears......

b

Aug 24, 07 4:24 pm
stevegambini

I've got one, go see a doctor.

Aug 24, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

cryzko, I'm hypoglycemic, too. Well, actually pre-diabetic. I didn't know there was such thing as pre-diabetic until my doctor told me that's what I am. Anyway, I do lots of things to control my blood sugar.

If I can help it, I eat like I'm diabetic. This is a lot more than just avoiding candy and sodas. There are actually certain fruits and veggies that I don't eat. Potatoes, corn, carrots, pineapple, apricots, etc... actually have a ridiculous GI. Oh yeah. You need to start paying attention to the glycemic index of the foods you eat.

Also, I've taken up grazing. I eat 5-7 small snack/meals throughout the day rather than the typical 3. Exercise also helps me. I'm not sure why, but if I haven't been running much in the past week, my blood sugar tends to spike and drop dramatically.

That's kind of the quick answer. I'm gonna second stevegambini's comment and suggest a nutritionist I've you've already been diagnosed as hypoglycemic. Try looking into the Sugar Busters Diet. It's based on the glycemic index. I'm not suggesting it as a diet, but rather as a good guide on what you can/should eat as someone with hypoglycemia.

Good luck.

Aug 24, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

**nutritionist if you've already been diagnosed...

Aug 24, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Okay, okay.. there seems to be some confusion which is VERY bad in this case. HYPO means low - HYPER means high. rfuller sounds HYPERglycemic. It's much easier to deal with HYPOglycemia than HYPER (without medication). When you start feeling like your blood sugar level is low (shaky, cold sweats, etc.. whichever symptoms you get) have some sugar. Feel like crap = eat sugar ASAP!

rfuller - "eating like I'm diabetic" usually refers to people with type 2 diabetes trying to keeps their blood sugar from going too high. cryzko's blood sugar levels are going low - not high.

I've had type I diabetes since age 11 - so feel free to ask any questions...

Aug 24, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Sorry grid. I'm HYPO. If the blood sugar gets too high, there is a drop which takes the blood sugar well below levels where it ought to be. I can't get my numbers back up and level out like most people. I stay low to avoid the drop.

Eating sugar only temporarily fixes the problem. To avoid the problem eating complex foods that take a long time to break down is a much better option. Complex carbs, cryzko, learn to love em.

Aug 24, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
grid

well, rfuller... in your response you state that you have high and low blood sugars - which would mean you're both... which i guess is what is meant by "pre diabetic."

For most people eating some sugar when feeling "low" is all that you need to do...

Low bloodsugars are much more harmful to your body than high blood sugars by the way.

Aug 24, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

My guess is it is not simply high and low... is what is meant by "pre diabetic".

The inability of the pancreas to regulate blood sugar with insulin when a patient is high is diabetes. Low blood sugar is a result of the treatment, as in injecting more insulin than is needed. This is called an "insulin reaction" and is treated with eating sugar.

If your body is dropping you into a hypoglycemic state (without controlled diet or injected insulin), then your pancreas must be doing it's job. But maybe not doing it well. I don't think that's diabetes.

Aug 24, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
grid

the pancreas does overcompensate at times when blood sugar is high - the human body also has ways of brining blood sugar down without use of insulin. my mind is going blank and I cannot remember the medical term for this. There are infinite shades of gray between just having one symptom and full blown diabetes.

For example, it is not unusual for someone to experience hypoglycemia when going without food for an extended period of time. Low blood sugars can occur from many more thing than just injecting too much insulin.

"I don't think that's diabetes." I agree to some extent.... which is why there are classifications for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. But all of these classifications are related to diabetes. Some type 2 diabetics control everything with diet and exercise, some take pills, others (as well as type 1 diabetics) are totally insulin dependent.

Anyway, cryzko - you could be fine... or you could have a bigger issue on your hands. You won't get much more than people (such as myself) blabbering about diabetes on here... your doctor has the lab results, etc. and will know exactly what is going on.

Aug 24, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm probably gonna go to the doc next week......

i already went a few years back about it but he said it was stress and working too much that caused it........

thanks for the input..................

b

Aug 25, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: