Archinect
anchor

Google Ads - Coincidental Genius, or Annoying Invasion?

mightylittle™

hi.

first off - mad props to the floating green head for keeping the ads on this site subtle, discreet, and inoffensive. i care that you care! and also, y'all need to pay some bills....so we' cool on that.

but! i am always excited/interested/scared/cautious/paranoid/etc whenever an ad pops up from google's keyword-generated vault of predetermined ads that fits precisely the topic at hand.

be they ads from within my gmail (of which i am a dedicated user) or here on archinect, they can be endlessly fascinating.

does anyone have any thoughts or experiences worth noting about the prevalence of google/keyword ads across the internets? specific instances that were particularly funny/ironic/other?

this is in no way a wholesale critique of them...just thoughts on their use. we are coming to the point where spyware and adware are becoming so prevalent and sophisticated, that not only will the ads be specific to keyword-content on a given page, but specific further still to ads that are based on information about YOU the user that was generated by said adwares/malwares/etc and sent back to the other floating heads at the other websites and forums. in addition to connections made between credit-card/bank companies who share your shopping habits with others...

really, i'm not paranoid. just a little cagey!

and to go ahead and make the connection to arch/design...

will we ever live in an era of such total efficiency-based-modularization and user-defined-content that our homes and products will be designed for us by the kind people at google?

based of course, entirely on our internet surfing behavior.

Exhibit A:

Aug 24, 07 2:46 pm
some person

I smell a scavenger hunt for the best google ad / thread combination.

I usually tend to see the DC permit expediters ads - anyone else see 'em or is it just me (based on my user name)?

Aug 24, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Aug 24, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
some person

This one is just wrong...

Aug 24, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
grid

DCA - that cracked me up!!

Aug 24, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
some person
Aug 24, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
some person
Aug 24, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...or how about some of the ads that show up for firms that are local to where you live? that is freaky.

Aug 24, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

good ad spotting. i wonder what ads i would get for a thread called
VadoRetroHatesYourAdvertisement.

Aug 24, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

very amusing. i had never even noticed that archinect had advertisements before...definitely worth checking paying attention

Aug 25, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
boxy

uh... why don't you just use Adblock? you won't even have to scroll through archinect's ads.

Aug 25, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: