Archinect
anchor

HELP ME

ha

Who is Tom Wolfe and why is he fucking with my head?

Aug 23, 07 11:47 am
Sarah Hamilton

He is a writer, wrote some awesome stuff, and some not as awesome stuff.

Known for "The Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test" in which he follows Ken Kesey around for a few years, all true and factual.

Wrote "Bauhaus to Our House" or maybe its the other way around, and is an architecture critic in New York now, I think.

The book with Tangerine in the title was an utter disapointment for me.

Did that help, or was it too literal?

Oh, and I don't know why he's effing with your head.

Aug 23, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Bauhaus to our House

is great, a hilarious sendup of midcentury modernism as it arrived in the US from Europe post WWII.

The Painted Word is where he does the same thing with contemporary art, also highly recommended.

... and I've just read The Right Stuff a few weeks ago, an awesome history of the space program's early days.

Can't speak to his fiction novels, for some reason I've never been interested in picking them up.

What book are you reading that's fucking with you?

Aug 23, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst
Aug 23, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I didn't know he wrote "The Write Stuff." We watched the movie version in HS physics.

And if you are interested in American history, specifically right before 'Hippies' came into vogue, "Acid Test" is totally amazing. It even has the grateful dead before they were the grateful dead, something about jugs I think? Any way, its almost a continuation of "On teh Road" by Keruoac, with a few of the same people, except Wolfe doesn't use fake names.

Aug 23, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

reading tom wolfe is always a fun ride. i even liked 'the kandy-kolored tangerine-flake streamline baby'.

his novel 'bonfire of the vanities' was a brilliant critique of conflicting american subcultures of the 80s. i read it in rolling stone magazine where it was serialized before the book was published.

'a man in full' is on my shelf, haven't yet read it, but my brother, who lived in atlanta at the time, said that it was scarily accurate and, therefore, hilarious.

Aug 23, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

steven,
your mention of 'bonfire of the vanities' reminds me - whatever happened to tama janowitz?

Aug 23, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

On Wolfe's sartorial idiosyncrasies Mailer remarked: "In my mind, there is something silly about a man who wears a white suit all the time, especially in New York."

Wolfe brushed off the sartorial attack, simply pointing out that "the lead dog is the one they always try to bite in the ass". To which Mailer quickly responded: "It doesn't mean you're the top dog just because your ass is bleeding."

Aug 23, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the literary brad pitt of his day. someone needs to tell these armchair architecture critics to stick it. you know who i'm talking about, prince charles.

btw, bonfire of the vanities is one of my favorite books.

Aug 24, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
joshua

talk to woody harrelson about it. GO FURTHER and the SOL tour

Aug 26, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: