Archinect
anchor

new louisville arena

i sorta think it looks like a dashboard from the river side. what do you guys think?

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6955748&nav=0RZF

Aug 22, 07 1:00 pm
liberty bell

So the article mentions Brad Clark, of the "Design Team", but I didn't see the name of an architect?

Steven, can you photoshop this into the nighttime rendering of REX's Museum Tower?

Dashboard, or Cadillac bumper?

Aug 22, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

architects: HOK Sport, GBBN (Cincinnati area), Louis & Henry (local)

Aug 22, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
simples

steven...weren't they looking at another site for that project, away from the river? and i thought the riverfront proposal also included a hotel/conference center...i worked on a quick proposal for another site at a previous office about 1.5 years ago just before i left...apparently we(they) didn't get it...the project had a lot of political ramifications from what i can remember...

regardless, i think the street side (with the plaza) seems much more successful, in terms of scale and form...the riverfront elevation seems to need a careful study in proportions...right now it seems "forced"

Aug 22, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

you're remembering exactly right, simples. the other site had some historic buildings on it and would have put this huge mass right in the middle of a 'working' part of downtown - a area that is now under redevelopment for different and more pedestrian-scaled uses. that said, there were a LOT of people who preferred the other site.

this site was fraught with political maneuvering, not least because the power company is being paid to move their substation off of this site - getting all new equipment in the bargain. a tricky site because of the adjacent bridge (design by paul cret), the grade change across the site, having to rework the floodwall, the adjacent elevated interstate, etc.

i agree with you about the main street side being more successful...though in a blah sort of way. reminds me a little of the gaylord center in nashville. the river side, however, just seems unresolved on a lot of levels.

i'll keep watching. these things usually (ok, sometimes) get better as the design gets more 'real'.

Aug 22, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i always like to think that if you are doing things right, the more you resolve, the better it becomes...(a way of the "architectural gods" to reward you)...

Aug 22, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we aren't involved in this in our otherwise aggressive advance on louisville.

Aug 22, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

i'm probably most worried about the undifferentiated and apparently shiny reflective wall facing the bridge and facing west to perfectly catch the setting sun.

and the crazy scale of the river side. doesn't feel very human/pedestrian-scaled at all and it looks like they went to great pains to pay attention to that on the north side on main street.

Aug 23, 07 7:42 am  · 
 · 
snooker

steven, looks like it is designed so when the big flood comes along it will float down river without a problem....That Bridge is up stream form it isn't it.

Aug 23, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 

actually that would be impossible (but it's funny to think about). louisville is often called a 'city of bridges' because there are several - a few more downstream from this point. and louisville exists because of the impassable falls just downstream: it became a port by default.

Aug 23, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe they are taking up the instant icon idea of "the big shiny building." is there a hole in it???

Aug 23, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: