Archinect
anchor

IS Tecjnical Drafting Class a Beginning for Architects and Engineers?

erutcetihcra

I am fixing to take a class called Technical Drafting because I thought it would look nice towards transfering from CC to University, but it looks a lot like the Engineering Graphics class i took in High School ~ Basically the book is showing you how to look at smaller measurements and making them bigger on paper, angles, drawing tools and mechanical appliances? Is this a class I should be taken for Architecture, since it introduces you to the Rulers and measurements and what not???

Aug 22, 07 11:38 am

frankly in architecture school, we were just expected to pick that stuff up as we went along. But if you don't have options of better things to take, it would at least be a demonstration of interest.

Aug 22, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
erutcetihcra

yay, I wasn't sure if Architects first learn a little bit about Engineering before moving on to the more interesting capabilities of Architecture. I wanted to make sure I wasn't taking an engineering class that Architects don't focus on.......unless it's useful?

Aug 22, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
simples

I have a feeling the class you took in high school might be enough when it comes to a technical drafting background prior to school of architecture. If you have money and time to travel prior to entering school, I would suggest that...search for some of the architectural "city tours" suggestions posted on this site, and go see them, and start to think about what is the appeal of contemporary architecture for you...how does it make you feel...keep a sketch pad from your travels...then, when you enter school, try to forget everything, and start with a blank canvas...my 2c.

Aug 22, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

The first class I took was a technical drafting class and looking back, I thought it was a big mistake. I was previously familiar with any design ideas or space planning issues and it was just tedious and boring. I guess what I'm getting at is if the course has no substance then don't take it. Just pick-up a drafting book and practice.

Aug 22, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

* I previously wasn't familiar with ay design ideas...

Aug 22, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

drafting isn't engineering.

we had a class in drafting in first year, probs the same as what you would do in the graphics course. but i don't think they teach the students how to construct perspectives from drawings or do axo's anymore.

on other hand it could indeed be seen as evidence of interest.

Aug 26, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

I didn't know anyone still said "fixing" - sweet, I might have to use that tomorrow at work.

Aug 26, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

jump, you just do those drawings over your sketchup model.

Aug 26, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

people used to do that in school - but those days it was in AutoCAD...and sometimes took just as long

Aug 26, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i like the term "fixing" too...as in "I'm fixing to put on my sloppy suit and paint the town red this evening..."

sorry no help to the thread.

Aug 27, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: