Archinect
anchor

zaha

ripomatic

"I really miss the Concorde. I used to be able to teach most of the day here in London, then go to a meeting in New York on the same day. I hope that the next 20 years will bring a revolution in transportation, a way for us to get around the world in less time and in a more relaxed fashion."

me too

Aug 20, 07 1:07 am
aspect

me too, so i can see my gal friends at north pole and south pole the same day.

Aug 20, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Mirin

what planet does this woman live on

Aug 20, 07 4:14 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I am still amazed at how slow the planes are these days. I mean, what technological development has their been for civilian airplanes in 50 years?

Personally, I'll smile when I can take trains in the 200-300mph range - no airports, just hope on downtown.

Aug 20, 07 6:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Burt Rutan spoke about this topic at TED in 2006 - the advances in air/space travel have been miniscule in the last several decades. I agree, in many ways - I've been reading NASA and the moon landings lately and wish we had, as a government, a big project like that going on, one that would make us feel proud of our fearlessness and initiative.

(Please no one mention our current wars - they are the exact opposite of the kind of "major project" I'm longing for.)

Aug 20, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 

Perhaps we need to invent another enemy... on the moon, although I guess Mars has been rather overdone on that front

Aug 20, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

god she is ugly

Aug 20, 07 8:02 am  · 
 · 

agreed is isn't a stunner in the looks department, but i find that last comment totally inappropriate and uneccessary.

Aug 20, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

ooops

Aug 20, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You reveal your own inner ugliness talking that way, eastcoast!

Zaha is gorgeous.

Aug 20, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 

And besides, if inner ugliness was the new beauty, everybody would be on a magazine cover.

Aug 20, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Hmh, you've got that right supernal!

Aug 20, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
snooker

[img]http://www.arcspace.com/architects/meier/undiscovered/Photo-1.jpg{/img' Just for Architectress 870 to get her offf to a good start this week

Aug 20, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
snooker
Aug 20, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

these days it takes about a day to get onto your scheduled flight. beautiful or not...

Aug 20, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 

house of the future

"Did you hear that Alitalia changed it's name? It's now called Genitalia."

Aug 20, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
n_

Dear John Travolta,

Nothing says 'homey' like a Boeing 757 outside your living room window.

Love,
n_

Aug 20, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
john bender

she really does do some great work.

Aug 20, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

Agreed bender. No reason to hate on the lady, her stuff is spectacular. I just thought it was a funny quote, particually when out of context.

Aug 20, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
simples

though i've never met the woman, i know a few who have, and their stories, along with interviews, etc, seem to point out that her inner appearance is not different from her outer appearance...but then again, most (st)architects have just the same inner ugliness...however, her comment above seems to reflect the diva she likes to be;

i admit i am still puzzled that she received the pritzker with only 6 built projects to her name;
but i also admit that her built work is very impressive;

and sorry, but i can't get over her recent "manifesto"

http://www.icon-magazine.co.uk/issues/050/manifestos/manifesto_18.html

Aug 20, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Oh! Oh! Ohhhhh!!!!! LOL

Aug 20, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

That was for Snooker's picture of RM...I really needed that, because I'm having a rough morning!

Aug 20, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I wanna house like Johns! But with fighter jets instead of commerical aircraft.

Aug 20, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i just wish they polluted less (planes), i dont really mind about the time...but yeah they could also improve the time, those trans-atlantic flights can turn into a (literally) pain in the arse...

how many "green" projects does Sir Norman, or Zaha do a year, and how much they polute flying all over??, would be nice to see any kind of mapping about this.... maybe Shumon at his unit in the AA would like to do some research about this topic...

Aug 20, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

technically speaking MAD, jet air craft are the most effecient means of transport energy wise considering how many people are on one plane and the distance they travel. Lone dudes in corporate jets however...

That's just what i heard somewhere, I could be wrong.

Aug 20, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah who knows, very dark fields those air travel corporations....

Aug 20, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
traveling just ain't what it used to be
Aug 20, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

n_, that is a 707. Holy cow, how amazing, I can't believe he has one! That's too awesome. I hope he never flies it though, that thing is a hog.

Also, there have actually been a *lot* of air advances in 50 years; most people just don't realize it because they haven't been outwardly revolutionary, just inwardly. Engines are INCREDIBLY more efficient and less polluting than 50 years ago; planes are more stable, quiet, and smooth than ever, due to all kinds of design changes like winglets, changes to tailwing rudders, etc; and don't even get me started on mapping, flight controls, all-electronic systems (instead of hydraulic/pneumatic), airplane safety, carbon-composite bodies, cameras on the tail that can withstand flight, etc. Anyone seen a Flight Engineer lately? That's right.

Now if we can only get the FAA to catch up...

Oct 26, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

it feels like most of the innovations in planes involving cramming more and more people on, for the sole purpose of effing with my knees. no one else, just me.

Oct 26, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
myriam

hahaha, you can blame the airlines for that one... you ought to see the recommended seat configurations from the manufacturers, they're a dream! if only united actually DID have good leg room, as they advertise... I'm 5'4" and *I* get stuck in those suckers.

Oct 26, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i watched a 4'2" morbidly obese 12 y.o. get stuck in his seat once. it was really gross.

Oct 26, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh yeah, and nice way of showing how well off you are, the avg. ticket was about $12, and only saved about 3.5 hours on a flight. (you only lose an hour or so on a normal flight, due to the time zone differential)

zaha bills out @ 3.5k/hr?

Oct 26, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 

looks cool, that one. but it has no windows. are we all going to ride with vr headsets on or something?

Oct 26, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: