Archinect
anchor

Architect/Developers Outside of the United States

qs

Does anyone know of places around the world where architects develop their own projects? Specifically, places where this model different from and/or more widespread than in the United States?

Also, in this vein, does anyone know of architect/developers outside of the United States? I can think of several examples of US architects/firms who have a stake in or develop their own projects (SHoP, Jonathan Segal are two good examples), but I’m having trouble finding any who do this outside of the US.

It seems that for various reasons, well-known architects are hesitant to advertise their status as real-estate developer. Anyone have some inside knowledge?

Aug 19, 07 8:45 pm
ideo

the new dean of the architecture school of the university of southern california, Qingyun Ma, did a poject called "well hall" in china. he was also the developer in this project.

"Ma Qingyun, an architect in Shanghai, is also designing his own high-style venture. Along with family and friends, he is opening what he calls a "mountain boutique hotel and a corporate resort" sometime next year in Xian. The exterior of the first gray-brick, wing-roofed unit of the hotel, known as Well Hall, was completed for $33,000. The interior is expected to be finished next year, and will have eight rooms that can accommodate up to 16 people."

Aug 20, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

supposedly SHoP Architects has received an investment from a hedge fund to the tune of $200M so that they can start developing their own projects... they also had partial equity in the Porter House project that they did in NYC...

Aug 20, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
qs

Ideo, That's an awesome lead. Thanks! Let me know if you hear of anything else like this.

architphil, I knew about the Porter House, but haven't heard about the hedge fund... that's huge. I'm looking for overseas architect/developers, but that's still good info, thanks also.

Aug 20, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

soon, hopefully very soon you can add me to that very short short list

Aug 20, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

well if u have ever heard Bjarne Ingels (of now called BIG) he had alaways been kind of developer of each of his projects since PLOT was on...

but if u want more examples...i would give u links from Mexico.

waldo higuera + javier sanchez
http://higuera-sanchez.com/

moises ison + pepe sanchez
http://www.centraldearquitectura.com

there are so many in mexico city.... mmhh let me think in a couple other and i will give u more links tomorrow, im kind off balance right now, and cant recall the other names....

Aug 20, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
qs

MADianito, thanks for the info... I had no idea Bjarne Ingels was kind of a developer. Those Mexican architecture firms are new to me also. If you think of any of those others in Mexico City let me know. Thanks!

Aug 22, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: