Archinect
anchor

the future

carolawinnie

how do you think virtual environments can interact with existing physical environment and how do we create them ? Can virtual environments carry weight?

Aug 19, 07 5:14 am

Carolawinnie, check out these:
Scaling Second Life
and
Second Life, Interesting How?

Halfway down on the 'interesting how?' thread I give a recap of various conversations we have had about virtual space and second life.

Aug 19, 07 7:25 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

based on experience, i predict the future will be a letdown.

Aug 19, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

based on your regular commentary I predicted you would predict that.

Aug 19, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

can you predict the future? email me i got questiions!

Aug 19, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 

I exist mainly in a virtual environment yet other people often talk or think about me in the existing physical environment. It's like weight watchers in denial about putting on some virtual gravitas.

Aug 19, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

my opinion towards a better future is that buildings should no more occupy a 'physical' footprint or a piece of land. So i gave it a thought that it might be virtual/holographic environments which create the space without mass.... or may be something hybrid may evolve in time.

This may become true in a matter of a decade or two.

Aug 19, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

To: architecthetics
Subject: Re: Mir & the value of a city
Date: 12 Aug 1998 - 19:37 BST

Is it possible that Brasilia is a perfect candidate for a city that should gradually (or perhaps even quickly) become a virtual place? Would Brasilia as a governmental center possibly function nearly just as well as a location in cyberspace?

=====

"In the future everything will be a reenactment (in cyberspace)?"

A Quondam Banquet of Virtual Sachlichkeit is largely a souvenir of events that occurred within "space without mass."

Aug 19, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The future isn't what it used to be.

Aug 19, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Concerning Brasilia as a virtual entity:

to imagine the city as working as well in virtual space as in real is a comment from someone that has not visited a "complete" architectural environment: the reality of humanity and nature shows always better against such all-white backdrops. In Brasilia: the surrounding shantytowns, the deathlike calm of the center, highways lined with beggars (especially come christmastime) etc. - there is no sense in speaking of converting something that rich into a virtual construct. It's impossible. If you say it's a matter of decades you have obviously not lived yet to see even two decades pass.

Governmental entities, corporations and some service-providers can function in a virtual "environment" - sure - but then we are talking about something else - the internet, as we know it at the moment, works like such an environment.

Striving to get existing space, society and matter translated into virtual realities is useless - the virtual has/will have it's own language and territoriality - not comparable to cities or communities as we know them.

Aug 20, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Helsinki, you're somewhat (willfully?) confusing my point(s). First, I (re)posted my musings of a virtual Brasilia to show carolawinnie (and others) that thinking about "space without mass" has already been around for a decade. I wish I could go and find what prompted Re: Mir & the value of a city in 1998, but the architecthetics archive no longer exists online, so now I can only try to recall what the intention of the post was. For me, Brasilia began as a sort of virtual place in that it was a completely new (designed) capital/government city, and then (in 1998) I wondered, given the internet, whether "governmental entities" could be "designed" via the internet. On this there is now some positive proof, and even you seem to agree.

As to the notion of "the city as working as well in virtual space as in real is a comment from someone that has not visited a "complete" architectural environment," well, that isn't me because I never advocated "the city as working as well in virtual space as in real." What I really did was raise two questions. Nonetheless, your description of Brasilia--"the surrounding shantytowns, the deathlike calm of the center, highways lined with beggars (especially come christmastime) etc."--paints a picture more surreal that real.

And as to "the virtual has/will have it's own language and territoriality":

To: [email protected]
Subject: Alex Galloway, Rhizome Editor, Reports on Siggraph 2000
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:49:31 -0400

Galloway wrote:
MOST OF THE ACTIVITY at last week's SIGGRAPH 2000, held this year in New Orleans, boiled down to a single fetish: the search for the perfect simulation.

reply:
Albeit a minority viewpoint, I nonetheless believe that "virtual reality" would more fulfill its potential by offering something other than a "perfect simulation" of what already exists. For example, "virtual reality" could possibly let us experience what a completely abstract reality is like, or perhaps what a completely inside-out reality is like -- basically allowing us to experience some "other" realities.

Then again, cloning will be a big part of this millennium, so cloned realities might just be the norm as well.

Steve Lauf

Aug 20, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I emailed you two years from now vado...did you get it yet?

Aug 20, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

The future is going to be *so* cool. I can't wait.

Aug 20, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: