Archinect
anchor

construction documents

samy

I am young architect just out of school and I got a proposition to make a set of construction documents. The existing house has about 2000 sq.ft. and they would like to add a whole second floor with master bedroom, bathroom, walking closet and another bedroom. I can do all that, but I have no idea how much should I charge for a set of construction documents, and if I do the design how much more should I charge.

Aug 16, 07 5:44 pm
emaze

there is a search feature at the bottom of the discussion page...

Aug 16, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

samy what emaze is trying to say is that the topic has been covered previously and with some good advice for tackling the situation. Not to say that what you are asking isn't important, but not to get the message crossed. We've covered from charging/pricing as per architect fees, per square foot/metre, hourly etc.

Search a bit, and if you have a problem I'll point you in the right direction. good luck

Aug 16, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

young, just out of school and you already know how to do a 2,000sf second story addition but you have no clue what to charge?

not sure i'd agree with your technical abilities assessment so i'll gently suggest that you hook-up with someone who has the experience to guide you or work collaboratively on the project.

you'll help save yourself and your colleagues by not under-charging and you'll save your reputation by not screwing-up an expensive project for your prospective client.

just a suggestion.

Aug 16, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i couldn't agree more. just because you think you CAN do all that, doesn't mean you should.

Aug 16, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
down the rabbit hole
Aug 16, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha woo that's fun, jeffe!

Aug 16, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
OROBORUS
Aug 16, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what you SHOULD charge and what they EXPECT to pay are TWO very different things. construction budget? hello? mc fly?

Aug 16, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my mom's friend asked her if I'd draw her house plans for $100. Good thing mom knew better and told her where to go. Funny.

Aug 16, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

go beary's mom

Aug 16, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: