Archinect
anchor

are architects spiritual?

carolawinnie

Are architects spiritual?

Aug 16, 07 1:15 pm
AbrahamNR

Some of us are, some of us aren't; just like any other walk of life.

Aug 16, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

ask stanley tigerman

Aug 16, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

they consume a lot of various spirits...

Aug 16, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

this website is a den of liberal depravity and hedonism

Aug 16, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

not like that's a bad thing...

Aug 16, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

architecture is my religion...

Aug 16, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

^^ took the words off the tips of my fingers.

Aug 16, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the wheel depends.
We turn clay to make a vessel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the vessel depends.
We pierce doors and windows to make a house;
And it is on these spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
Therefore just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the usefulness of what is not.

Aug 16, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

I nominate "architecture is my religion" as the next major archinect t-shirt slogan.

Following the lines of memorable one-liners "Architecture Sucks" and £€$$ comes from the infamous architphil, architecture is my religion. We aren't your average harry-krishnas but archinect hoodie wearing, x-acto yeilding, mayline drawing, rhino modelling, anti-starchitects of the future.

Aug 16, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

if architecture is your religion?
is archinect your prophet?

Aug 16, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'd recommend "architecture? why have you forsaken me?"

Aug 16, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

be sure to include a pic of Corbu's head (or glasses) photoshoped onto a bleeding heart jesus for the t-shirt, maybe holding a t-square too.

Aug 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

architectura architectura lama sabachthani

Aug 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

when did i become infamous???

and i was (almost) serious... i'm a devout atheist... so architecture is the closest thing that i have to a religion...

Aug 16, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

atheism has little or nothing to do with spirituality.

and spirituality has even less to do with religion.

Aug 16, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

archinect might be more of an oracle than a prophet...

but maybe that makes paul a prophet???

Aug 16, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Goin' up to the spirit in the sky,
That's where im gonna go when i die
When i die and they lay me to rest
I'm gonna go to the place that's the best.

Aug 16, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

If architecture is going to be a popular religion we need a deity. Any suggestions?

Aug 16, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I don't know, but whoever our diety is better have some sweet glasses.

Aug 16, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

we are not dicussing relegion dear friend. Spirtuality trancsends relegious ideologies

You can be a futurist by being spiritual, not relegious... yeah right.

Aug 16, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Who's gonna help establish our dogma?

Aug 16, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

it's still three letters...

Aug 16, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Good choice. Delerious New York will be our Tora, with S,M,L,XL and Content as the New Testament and Qu'ran respectively.

Aug 16, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

nope - just phenomenal.

Aug 16, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

"Our father, who art in heaven, superficiality is thy depth."

Aug 16, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

architecture stole my soul

Aug 16, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm gonna sell my soul to the devil and become a famous architect, just like Zaha!

Aug 16, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
cf

What do you mean by Spiritual?

Aug 16, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

god is in the concepts. just doesn't have the same ring to it. does it.

Aug 16, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Vado, you must provide us with a Hymnal. It has been decreed.

Aug 16, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

a friend of the devil is a friend of mine

ahh, my fault, that should have been in the "guess the lyrics" thread

Aug 16, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

cf has hit the point... thats what we are here to debate... go ahead with what you know.

Aug 16, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

to me, spiritual means letting something into your body and letting it have reign over your life. now this can be for the bad or for the good. i see some friends that are christian and have accepted christ into their hearts as they say it, and that to me is spiritual. believing in something bigger than you that may not always be visible to the eye is what i think of when i hear that word.

i'm more agnostic then anything. i don't disbelieve that there is a god/alah(sp?)/budah/etc. but i have this notion in my mind that there is something out there, i just don't know where or what it is.

Aug 16, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

im with you eastcoast.

Aug 16, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Why would the spiritual have anything to do with your physical body? Are you talking about CHI? And why should CHI rule your life? Is Spirit something that should rule? What then is Spirit ruling? Why does it have to Rule? Why and how is the something bigger? How can something be visible but you can not see it through you eye? Why should there be something out there? Should we be stockpiling armaments?

Aug 16, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
simples

carola, reading your posts on spirituality, phenomenology, etc, you should definitely read some heidegger and pallasmaa...also, do some research of genius loci /// many architects do focus on non-physical aspects of the built space, especially in design. but good design is about balance, and the key here is how you translate it into the physical building.

Aug 16, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Is genius loci and the spirit in the same arena?

Aug 16, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

what about the midichlorians???

Aug 16, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

whatever it is, it would be best to make it up by coping the pagans like every one before did who in turn just copied the stars in the universe's positions in the sky and the like

Aug 16, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im trying to become an atheist because, for me, it is the only logical conclusion.

My dilemma lies in the fact that I can accept and even understand some theories about the limitless and infinite nature of the universe. And that based on this logic, i can also accept that if the universe is infinite, a single starting point, middle point or end point can not exist.

If you can believe there is no beginning middle or end, you need not believe there is a god. The universe just is as it is. The notion of how it was or how it will be doesnt matter, and in fact the questions are void. But my mind has not fully grasped the concept. I am still having difficulty truly understanding how something can be infinite... so i can not be an atheist.
And in the quest for the most simple solution... accepting that the universe is infinite, and therefore has no need for marker of past present or future would negate virtually all reasons for uncertainty in my mind... it is the simplest solution... though an exceedingly and perhaps impossible one to comprehend...
how ironic...

Aug 16, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

seen Zietgiest yet?

also tomorrow going go see The 11th Hour?

Aug 16, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ah, but lletdownl, there are some serious indications that the universe is not actually infinite and may have a real shape to it. I read awhile ago that our three euclidian dimensions, X,Y, and Z (up, down, left and right) may actually be curved rather than straight, they just appear straight to us because we are so small. If you travel far enough in one direction the theory is you eventually wind up where you started just like if you wanted to fly around the world. (Source: Brian Greene The Elegant Universe)

Aug 16, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yes indeed, i have read such theories Apurimac.

there are many different theories on the subject, and it is indeed likely that the density of the universe would not allow for euclidian dimensions to hold true... parallel lines do indeed intersect eventually.

and though its approximated the universe is 13.7 billion years old, it is by no means a certainty, and the universe's expansion is accelerating. The fact that we can approximate the outward acceleration backwards to a starting point (the big bang) it requires that there was at one point almost infinite density and heat at a finite point (thanks wikipedia) as all the contents of the universe were encompased. So... even if you accept the common theory of the big bang ( and from that, the expansion of the universe giving it its overall shape),and that there was a point in time when the universe was born, it still requires a concept of infinte or unlimited density and temperature.

Aug 16, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

wish i understood that stuff better... but the amount of physics it requires is just too intense...

Aug 16, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Well, i don't say there is a god, i don't say there isn't all i know that I know nothing. I don't know what time is, i don't know what reality is, all i have are my pathetic human interpretations which may not exist at all.

Aug 16, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

I like being a liberal catholic it means that I can understand and even relate to everything previously mentioned without having to fully accept it. I think the reality is that we are all agnostic, because as much as we believe (and infinite concept) we don't really know (and the notion of truth, this or that is a concept as well).

Aug 16, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well said, architechnophilia. Most reasonable people are agnostic to some degree or another; people who are 100% certain about anything scare the shit out of me.

Aug 16, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

lletdownl, i can sympathize, i couldn't even understand the video version of 'the elegant universe'. and it had colorful bouncing quasar dealies to try and explain all this stuff...i felt pretty dim.

Aug 16, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i had to read some passages in the book multiple times to get them.

Aug 16, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

enbrightenment is up on us

speaking of has anybody seen: Richard Dawkins~The Enemies Of Reason: Channel 4~ 13 August 2007

yet? http://onebigtorrent.org/details.php?id=2355&hit=1

Aug 17, 07 1:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: