Archinect
anchor

red eye

eastcoastarch03

could just be me, but i have 20/20 vision(thus far) and sit in front of a computer at work all day as a cad monkey. i seem to always have blood-shot eyes and have tried everything from clear eyes to rhoto-v eye drops. i also try to get 7 hours of sleep every night before i get into the office to help my situation. maybe its just my eyes, but do any of you have any good eye-redness remedies that i'm missing here?

i surely do understand that being in this profession warrants the use of glasses early on in life, but i'm trying to be optimistic so far that my eyes haven't become all that bad(yet).

thanks for any input.

Aug 14, 07 11:04 am

remember when your parents used to say 'don't sit so close to the tv, you'll go blind'? so what do we do all day these days?

Aug 14, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i don't have to sit too close to the lcd screen here at work, its a 22" widescreen that the boss just bought us all. its really not bad....

Aug 14, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

drink lots of water

Aug 14, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
njp

i get the same problem all the time. i try to drink lots of water as sarah says, and blink more!

Aug 14, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

people are like "have you been drinking?", not yet i say, it's not 5:30

Aug 14, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
n_

People always ask me if I have been drinking at work because my eyes are always red too.

I tell them I have.

Aug 14, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

lots of water makes me pee too much

Aug 14, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
simples

unfortunately, I noticed that my eyes tire much more easily when i am working on sketching or hand renderings (on onion skin) for a long period of time, than when i am working on computers...maybe I am evolving (or devolving?)

eastcoast...go to an oftamologist...a lot of people use glasses just for computers...

Aug 14, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Water is good. And peeing too much isn't so bad. Think of all those free breaks to stretch your legs...

My other suggestion is to stop drinking a pint of whiskey at your desk. That should clear up your problem.

Aug 14, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

ophthalmologist

Aug 14, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

garpike,

i don't think my flask holds all that much whiskey....

Aug 14, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
simples

garpike...ophthalmologists...thanks!

regardless, eastcoast...go visit an ophtalmologist, then you can join the club:

Aug 14, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
simples

dammit...forgot an "h"...please forgive me, oh gods of grammar!

Aug 14, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
jae

Ok this sounds like some country-fried-home-remedy crap but it works. If you have like a mini-fridge in the breakroom or something like that at your office, leave a bottle of buttermilk in it. when your eyes start to burn or feel irritated simply go to the fridge and put one drop of buttermilk in each eye with the tip of your finger. its extremely soothing. sounds crazy but give it a try. i do it all the time.

jae

Aug 16, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

And while you are at the fridge grab some whiskey. If you don't keep you bottle in the fridge, consider storing one near it.

Aug 16, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

shit my bottle is strapped to the bottom of my plam desk

Aug 16, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i had a hemmorage in my optic nerve a few years back. that was fun as the opthamologist said well vado, it could be nothing or it could be a sign that you have a brain tumor or multiple scleroris. you better get an mri.
so i got one and went to a neuroopthomologist to see if i was still cooridinated enough to stand on one leg etc. fortunately, it was none of the above. but i blame it all on architecture.

Aug 17, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

no butter milk is the milk left over after skimming the butter off the top. It gets pastuerized like everything else, but still doesnt taste good, unless youre making bisquits or fried chicken.

Aug 17, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

yeah, but i can't imagine jae is tasting the buttermilk through his/her eye

Aug 17, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

yeah i've got a bottle of the rhoto-v cool drops. they do have this od, kind of pleasing tingle to them.

Aug 17, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

I gotta be the occasional culinary cop around here, so let's get this straight, shall we?

Fats CONGEAL
Proteins COAGULATE
Sugars CARAMELIZE

and Starches??

They GELATINIZE. (Oh yeah...It's a word.)

Buttermilk is the liquid left behind from the churning of butter. You can't skim butter from the top. (Unless the butter has already been made and added to hot liquid like sauce or stock, in which case you can most definitely skim butter from the top...)

Butter actually forms a huge mass of COAGULATED fats in the mixer as it separates from the liquid portion of cream. You can play this game at home. Take about a 1/2 cup of heavy cream or so and put it in a pint-sized mason jar.. Secure the lid and give the jar to a hyperactive kid and have them run around for twenty minutes shaking it like crazy. Lo and behold, you'll wind up with a clumpy mass of coagulated yellowish fats in the bottom of the jar and a couple of tablespoons of liquid. That's the buttermilk, and kids love to make it.

Buttermilk starts out rather liquid, much like milk, but once inoculated with things like Acidophilus and Bifidus it thickens and takes on its characteristic tang.

It's also exceedingly delicious in PANCAKES where it doubles as a tangy taste sensation AND a catalyst for your baking powder, thereby giving rise to the fluffiest of flapjacks.

And surprisingly, given its name, buttermilk has less fat and calories than EITHER butter OR milk. About half the fat of regular milk, and way less than that of butter.

Now THERE'S buttermilk in 'yer eye!

(and back to your regularly scheduled discussion about red-eye)

And here's to your red-eye.

Aug 17, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thank you mr. know it all.

Aug 17, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hey now!

Aug 17, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that beer looks tasty. is it beer thirty yet? i promise i won't put it in my eyeball...

Aug 17, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
john bender

i got old bay in my eye back in high school (used to work at a seafood market), man that stuff burns to high hell. doesn't help that pearly white color in your eye either.....

Aug 20, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: