Archinect
anchor

p2an visiting LA

i think i need a holiday to look forward to, so i am planning a trip to LA in october/november.
can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel, i am imagining some slightly kitsch motel with a pool in courtyard, like something you might expect to see in a Lynch film.
not sure which area i should be staying in yet - any advice welcome.
who are LA archinectors out there?

Aug 12, 07 11:35 am

it's nothing fancy (not at all) but i LOVED the beverly laurel hotel, 8018 beverly blvd, los angeles, ca 90048. little bar/diner downstairs in the corner was great. easy walk to tv city, farmer's market, and nice walks along beverly blvd itself. sounds like exactly what you're looking for, if you don't need plush.

Aug 12, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

thanks steven, that is exactly the kind of place i mean. plush not needed - i prefer a place with a bit of character rather than another identical chain hotel. the reviews on trip advisor seem mostly positive.

Aug 12, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

i haven't read the reviews but, when you're reading them, remember that americans are weird about wanting everything to look new all the time - often associating not-new with not-clean. this place doesn't look new but seemed perfectly clean. even my wife freaks out over ceramic tile in showers instead of the standard-issue fiberglass insert.

Aug 12, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I enjoyed staying at the chinatown best western - cheap and great location for everything eastside/downtown.

Aug 12, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK has a couch and a pool...tumbles has a couch and a pool...

Aug 12, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

p2an has a woman-friend and i expect would enjoy the privacy of a personal accomodation (just conjecture, maybe i'm wrong)...

...either way, if someone can show him to a good bar and a pleasant visit in my absence, i would appreciate it (as i owe him both).

Aug 12, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Farmer's Daughter

and
Magic Castle

Aug 12, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

AP, i 'should' be travelling with my lady-friend (long story), so yeah a bit of privacy...but definitely meeting some of the LA ppl for a drink would be super.
thanks for the hotel suggestions so far, i am checking them out.
i guess there is no way to do LA without a car is there? kinda misses the whole LA experience if i am not stuck on the freeway half the time?

Aug 13, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 

no, but no. you gotta have a car, yes. but when we went out for a l.a.-week, we managed to almost completely avoid the freeways. you see more of the connections between things and to what extent l.a. is really a massive system of neighborhoods when you stay on the surface streets. doesn't work 100%, but as much as you can do it, it makes for a richer experience.

Aug 13, 07 7:33 am  · 
 · 
gypsy

second what SW says, the freeways are pretty easy to avoid and surface streets afford a rich experience of the collision which is L.A.

Aug 13, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 

ok, funny term 'surface streets', i'd never heard that before.

Aug 13, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 

and kind of a misnomer as well, p2an, since some 'surface streets' pass over other streets and most freeways are on the surface. but it's a common way to distinguish between city streets and limited-access roadways, so it's useful.

Aug 13, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Steven, that picture looks like my apartment.

Aug 14, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

ok, a year ago it didn't work out, but i'll try again for this november.
so who are the LA archinectors? would love to have be part of a LA meet up. planning a 2 week visit in mid nov.

Sep 2, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

5th generatation Angeleno (and still a resident) here, p2an.

Give a holler once you've set your dates....

Sep 2, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, do let us know when you'll be in town!

Sep 2, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

We haven't had a decent meet up in a while.

I can't promise I won't flip off the camera again-

Sep 2, 08 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: