Archinect
anchor

Engineers in the field

ArchIneeR

Hi all,

I'm very new to the field and am pretty lost. I just graduated in May in southern california with a B.S. in mechanical engineering. I realized that engineering wasn't for me and that I should do what I like as opposed to selling out for the higher pay and being misserable. Currently I'm interning for a private architect whom has taught me a tremendous amount in the few months that I have been doing it. Unfortunetly the peanuts aren't paying the bills. I have started my "portfolio" with the AutoCAD as-builts I drew up and a sketchup rendering of the house that he and I are currently working on. I am also studying for the LEED AP exam. I hope to start going out and interviewing for a real position in a high-end residential firm or a green-design oriented firm.

If anyone could give me some tips as to what I should be doing with my portfolio, what type of position I could fill, or anything else that could get my foot in the door, it would be most appreciated.

-cheers

Aug 9, 07 4:15 pm
pvbeeber

If you are serious about a career in architecture (i.e. you eventually want to get licensed), you'll need to go back to school for an M. Arch. It sounds like you're enjoying your current job, so I would recommend spending another year (no more) working, building your portfolio, and making sure that this is what you want to do. In the meantime you can start thinking about where you want to go to school and starting the application process. Having a non-architectural background will not be a problem. My background was in liberal arts and structural engineering, and most of my classmates were from unrelated backgrounds. We even had an eye surgeon. If you have drawings or other design-related materials from your mechanical engineering days, I would certainly include them in your portfolio. Good luck and welcome into the fold.

Aug 9, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
ArchIneeR

Thanks for the input pvbeeber. I have been looking at a masters program at USC (building science-a semi hybrid form of architecture and engineering) but I don't think I'm ready to back to school just yet, probably in a year or two. But if anyone would know...how marketable is having an in-house engineer with the potential to get his/her P.E. (professional engineer) certification? Then eventually their architectural accredidation...

-cheers

Aug 9, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
todd

well, your education is in mechanical not structural. Not sure how many structural courses you took or how much knowledge you have in mechanical systems pertaining to building types. These two things would determine how much your engineering degree plays inside an architectural office. It sounds like right now you are gaining experience as a drafter for an architect. Be sure the schools you look into our for a professional degree in architecture.

Aug 10, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I think your undergrad in mechanical engineering has a potential to go a lot further than one would typically think. You are already on the right track getting LEED certified and expanding your knowledge on the technical side of architecture (at least from what I've derived from your postings here) If you aren't too focused on going back to get your professional degree in architecture and spend 3 more years studying (plus god knows how many more years for IDP) You could look deeper into the market in sustainable a.k.a energy-efficient building technology and make yourself indispensable in the near future as a energy-efficiency consultant for a lot of architecture firms out there who have the will but not the know-how to execute green projects. Learn as much as you can in your current job but don't burden yourself with something you may not want to go through again. (as in going back to uni) If you keep going the way you are I have no doubt you will eventually find yourself in a position where you're highly paid and love what you do for life.

Just my 2c.

Aug 10, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
ArchIneeR

Thanks for the input todd_uff and hobbitte. You're right, I didn't focus on structural courses but I did have a few statics, vibrations, and material science courses which have come in handy. Also true, I have been doing a lot of drafting for residential projects, but in the process I have been learning basic design concepts and practical knowledge of structure building procedure and codes. Hobbitte, I have been very interested in learning about that and eventually I wouldn't mind that being my specialty, but do you know of any masters programs that would specialize in that or of any firms that have dedicated departments for it?

-cheers

Aug 15, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: