Archinect
anchor

specific job history: to include or not to include?

blue22

I'm in the midst of compiling a portfolio and redoing my entire resume. I just finished my first year in grad school and would like to obtain a part time job or at least start preparing for next summer.

Question is that I recently discovered the development firm I worked for has gained some notoriety (unfavorable) in the architectural circles here, so do I include them on my resume or exclude them?

The position absolutely looks impressive on the resume for someone so inexperienced, but is it worth it to associate my name with theirs?

Aug 3, 07 4:28 pm
Bloopox

Yes, list it. At your level nobody is going to associate you with whatever scandals, problems, or wrong-doing that the company is involved in, or hold it against you for working there. If you gained experience and practical skills then that's what potential employers will want to see.

Aug 3, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I second that. Unless you were a high-level principal involved in the shenanigans, nobody with a brain would associate you with said shenanigans.

Aug 3, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

What if the notoriety is not for shenanigans, but for just being bad designers?

Aug 3, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It doesn't matter. Someone who has just finished their first year of an M.Arch program is not going to be viewed as the mind behind this firm's design, and employers are usually looking more for practical experience and familiarity with typical firm procedures than they are thinking about one firm's design philosophy "rubbing off" and tainting an intern.
Firms always think they have to re-train everybody in their design thinking anyway.
Include the job on your resume. If nothing else it might make for some good questions and conversation in the interview (but in that case be very tactful in what you say about this previous firm. It will only make you look unprofessional if you say anything negative.)

Aug 4, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

absolutely include it...if you're young then you'll need experience more than anything else

Aug 4, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I had a similar question once. I opted to list all of my experience. It just so happened that my interviewer had worked for the same firm that I was not proud of, making it a great ice breaker that allowed me to emphasize my values and resons for leaving that previous firm.

Aug 5, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: