Archinect
anchor

Design Professions in the Media

There is information on how our design professions are portrayed in the media throughout the site, hopefully this thread can serve as a central location for that type of info and discussion.

Jul 30, 07 9:14 am

The fashion of the architect:

NYT Sunday Magazine

Jul 30, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 

whoa. that's a bad start. my architect friends and i would probably stand in the corner with our beer and chuckle about that guy.

are those really drawstring pants? and what's the pad inside the knees for?!

Jul 30, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

kneepads are very important for architects. but these are on the wrong side.

Jul 30, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Notes from the underbelly

"I also found myself distracted at times, wondering how he, a landscape architect with a handful of employees, and she, a college counselor at a private school, can afford a house in Santa Monica filled with Pottery Barn-like furniture and a Mini Cooper."
zap2it.com

Jul 30, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
xacto

Quilian I saw that this weekend and just started to laugh. i like the one wear the guy is wearing like a space suit jacket.

Jul 30, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 

I just updated the original post to embed the Monty Python's The Architect's Sketch

Jul 30, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Recipe for an Architect

Actor, add tousled cute hair, relaxed dishevelled designer clothing, leaning on drawing board in a industrial warehouse set.

Voila!

Or, minus hair + clothing, add Corbu glasses and suit (bowtie optional).

But....where are the WOMEN architects????!!!

Jul 30, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
archtopus

I didn't get the impression that that Sunday Times piece was suggesting it was fashion that architects would necessarily wear. Rather, fashion that could be considered to be inspired by or somehow appropriately contextual with the architecture. The clothing does have a bit of a 1920s look to it, no?

Jul 30, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

antipodean-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Ties

Jul 30, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Oh boy. She was an architect and a SUPERMOM. The reality of it all...

Ok, I'm going to come out and say it...the media like male architect characters because women find them really hot. (There's something about Mary, case in point). It's that mixture of a creative (therefore sensitive) talented soul, who works in a cool office, wears cools clothes and builds edifices to mankind...a perfect new age hero.

Women architects...well, would a male audience warm to a dominating, intelligent, confident women who feels equally comfortable in heels and hard hats? Can climb ladders while wearing a skirt drinking copious shots of espresso and sketching a detail at the same time? Maybe. Kinda like women lawyers (think Ling on Ally McBeal). : D

Jul 30, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt
Jul 30, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

I knew it!!!!

PR executives, actresses and journalists??? Maybe its time for that boob job...

Jul 30, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Ha. I loved that sketch...even though I am a Freemason.

Jul 30, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i am fully aware of my animal magnetism

Jul 30, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Movies portray architects wielding halos and daggers

By Arrol Gellner
January 22, 2005

Jul 31, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 

CSI
Clay Dobson, serial killer, works at his Dad's architecture firm.
Joey Lawrence plays him. TV Guide
Synopsis

Jul 31, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Knights of Prosperity

Operation: Oswald Montecristo
February 28, 2007

...Once they learn that Kelly Ripa needs a new architect for her home, their problems are solved. Eugene decides to pose as Oswald Montecristo a famous architect with his "associates" so they can easily case Kelly's place and rob her....

Oswald Montecristo Promotional Video

Aug 2, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 

I just noticed that archinect's own Mason White has a comprehensive database of architects in screen.

Sep 22, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

on the one hand i thought that the adam sandler movie click in which he stars as an architect was crap...but on the other hand it did feature david hasselhoff as his boss and i thought that was pretty funny. the wife was pretty too.

and although it didn't feature an architect, i always felt that beetlejuice was an important movie for architect's to watch...cracked out pomo at its finest, i think

Sep 22, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 

I just saw: The Holy Mountain other: 1|2

The film is crazy, but a worthwhile trip with some interesting shots, sequences, and points. My problem is that it can be too easy (if not a bit childish) criticism of religion and the industrial powers.

Nonetheless, one of the characters he criticizes is a modernist architect, which he cartoons as a persona that searches for nothing but profits. He does this by taking people's way of life and replacing it it with fields of faceless/lifeless skyscrapers of personal pods in the shape of caskets. I cannot find an image as I found it compelling and could not stop thinking of:

Sep 22, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: