Archinect
anchor

RNC: What would Debord do?

JG

There has been a lot of talk in the news here of late that we are being invaded by the "anarchists" next week. As usual they get portrayed as violent frenzied looters.

I went to watch these so-called anarchists practice for the RNC and realized how futile their protest tactics were, poetry, acoustic guitars, puppets, hastily drawn posters; I felt like was watching the bread and puppet theater. The entire enterprise and what we will see next week on the streets seems quaint if not irrelevant to the way that the RNC can mobilize all forms of media to get the message out. How (as the Situationsists tried) can protest tactics merge themselves with the dynamics of corportate media practices as a way to get the message out but without huge financial backing?

Aug 26, 04 12:43 pm

I heard Debord is documenting North Korean spectacles these daze.

Aug 26, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Charles Mackintosh

What you are prescribing has nothing to do with the SI. They had no interest in attempting to use the structures of society for their means. I think you are getting anarchism mixed up with situationism. They are not the same. Besides, situationism doesn't exist, never has.

Aug 26, 04 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
pagoda

rita debord is too dead to document anything. that would be a spectacle.

Aug 27, 04 1:27 am  · 
 · 

28 December 1868 - birth of Horace Trumbauer
28 December 1931 - birth of Guy Debord

18 September 1938 - death of Horace Trumbauer
30 November 1994 - suicide of Guy Debord (shot himself in the heart)

Horace gets a kick out of North Korean spectacle as well.

[hey pagoda, there are some who believe you can never be "too dead."]

Aug 27, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: