Archinect
anchor

insidearch

allcaps

Those ex-Eric Owen Moss employee horror stories are priceless. I can read those all day.

The way I see it -- all we've got to navigate the current employee-sphere of architecture are:

1) CPU skills that our bosses covet
2) archinect (which, it has to be said again, smokes since its update)
3) The informed opinions of our colleagues. When it comes to choosing where to work, we need to know whether we are going to be learning or wasting our time.

insidearc is already in the links catagory, but we should all take the rest of the morning to tell each other about our experience at the firms we've worked at.

This may be the closest we ever get to unionizing. Out here in Boston, my boss learned about negative comments on insidearch and immediately freaked out. Now, I like my boss, but I also like the prospect of our bosses knowing that we are watching them -- and talking to each other.

BTW -- I am in no way affiliated with insidearch -- I am just looking for a new job.

Aug 26, 04 10:09 am
caste

good post...... its only effective though if it becomes commonly used

Aug 27, 04 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Evil Mayan Midget God

Insidearch.org has a tremendous amount of upside potential. Though I wonder how useful it will be if it just gets used as a place for bitter ex-employee's to trash their former bosses. That said - maybe there is some value in that. Check out the trashing THESE GUYS took from their employees.

Aug 27, 04 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

considering the typical negative attitude of many architects, this site has the potential to falsely tarnish many good employer's reputations. who has good things to say about a firm that is forced to lay them off?

Aug 27, 04 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
MrBaboon
who has good things to say about a firm that is forced to lay them off?

Well, me, for one. I totally don't blame my company for letting me go a while back. Then again, I didn't work for a company that's widely viewed as evil.

Aug 27, 04 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i dont know what scruteny the insiderach guys do but at various times certain offices are pulled off to review the comments [i would be surprised if they call management]. the h&r example has 8 submissions while many of the highest and lowest ranks may only have 1 so can only be after some base has been built.

i have been told by lots of my friends that the h&r office is in a bit of turmoil with no real design leader setting the agenda[someone told me that they were trying to sell it]. lots of their work was educational and other public supported projects which have been hit hard in todays economy.

hard when a firm is built around 'names' and still hangs on to that identity. a lesson to be learned when you select the name of your practice and ownership transition.

Aug 30, 04 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: