Archinect
anchor

career direction advice?

apple_z

I'm about 6 years out of school (BARCH) & licensed. I work in a firm doing residential projects and feeling held back by a principal who has difficulty loosening her grip on the reins.

I have an opportunity to go to a design build firm and basically run their design department. The company does good work with a sustainable approach. I'm finding the decision hard to make because is is is unlike considering another architecture firm where I might know what to expect.

Any archinect opinions on an architect jumping ship and heading the design build route? What are your perceptions?

thanks for the help!

Jul 23, 07 11:58 am
THEaquino

I would leave in a heartbeat. I would hate to feel like my career was being held back.

Jul 23, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sounds good to me.

what are your hesitations?

Jul 23, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

I'd also take that in a heartbeat- if you're the head of the design department, then that's some real control over your own work that it doesn't sound like you've been able to experience yet.

Jul 23, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'd jump at the opportunity to learn the equation from the other side.

Jul 23, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
_MLD

love design/build, currently work in a small firm. there is usually lot more control btwn what you design & what gets built. if you want to be a little more active in the office i wouldn't hesitate to leave.

Jul 23, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
apple_z

Strawbeary - my hesitation (and this sounds more lame as I'm typing it) comes from the reaction of some of my peers around here. I get the "oh, it's a design build firm then..." in a that's beneath me tone. I guess it made me wonder if I was clueless to some dark side to the decision.

Jul 23, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

I say go for it . At least it will be a change from the curtrent place - where it sounds like youre unhappy anyway. Worst case - it's an opportunity to try something new.

Jul 23, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
_MLD

i think that comes from the notion that many of us architects have a slight dislike for contractors. in a design/build firm you are both.

Jul 23, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

apple_z

tell your so-workers to fuck off...who cares what they think. There has always been / will always be those that think actual building is blue collar, non-academic, tradesman work...these are the people whos building are falling apart / leaking.

When you get into design / build and are happier (and probably making more $$$) that they are, tell them to fuck off one more time

Jul 23, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Go for it dude.

If there are more reasons to leave, you know the answer.

Jul 23, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Second, what mdler...Said

Jul 23, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
brianar

If you leave on good terms, there is no reason you couldn't go back at some point if you don't love the new venture.

change is good.

Jul 23, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

I think some people still look at design/build as a big E little A type of firm, but i guess in this context it more like a big C (contractor) little A. Or something along those lines. Point is, i don't think they really get what a design/build firm can be. I'd jump at that opportunity. Best case, you love it and get lots of control over design. Worst case, you learn a lot more about actual building. I think these small daily contractor made decisions make or break a building. Thats where the architecture lies, in those detail. Especially since the small details are the human scale ones we interact with everyday. Do it, make a change before you really feel its too late.

Jul 23, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
apple_z

Thanks for your comments and support.
I'm goint to go for it.
Keep you posted....

Jul 24, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: