Archinect
anchor

L.A. mid-wilshire koreatown

sanofiSYN

I'm looking for an apartment in La La Land. Don't know much about the neighborhoods. I've seen a lot of pretty nice, decently priced places in the mid-wilshire/koreatown area, a couple at st. andrews place and wilshire. how is this area? safety, convenience, traffic, restaurants, shops, cafes, walkable? any help appreciated. thanks!

Jul 20, 07 12:53 am
KEG

search "k-town" or Koreatown, it has been discussed.

you're good. it's central to everything, lots of great restaurants, cheap rent comparatively...traffics a bitch but its LA.

Jul 20, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I know lots of folks that have lived in that area. All eventually move out, but for entry level housing within striking distance of all of LA, it's pretty good.

Jul 20, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
moratto

I used to live in there. I found it to be a community on the brink of change, ethnically and financially. It's a good place to start out but walking around can get a little sketchy at times. Korean BBQ is amazing. Welcome to LA.

Jul 20, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes. welcome to LA.

here's a breakdown of a few neighborhoods that i personally would consider living in:
culver city - cheaper, less walkable, pretty good on safety side
venice - expensive, walkable, lots of amenities, tucked away on the westside... but the 405 and 90 aren't far
santa monica - access to the 10 and pch to points north. expensive but safe and lots of nice areas that are walkable
brentwood- walkable and reasonable in rent but traffic can be pretty bad getting in and out at rush hour
k-town/mid-wilshire - the further east is a little seedier. more strip malls and such. gets much nicer the further west you go with the park la brea area and hancock park
west la - i live here. not as walkable but quiet residential neighborhoods. a little duller than most areas though.
silver lake - hipster hills. definitely east side biased. pretty safe with things to do but you still need a car. close to downtown. pricey
echo park - the little sibling to silver lake. slowly gentrifying from the top elevations down. crime was a problem in the past. getting better close to downtown.
los feliz- moderately located. i feel it's a bit out of the way but has it's
own amenities. definitely can find things cheaper than silver lake or nicer parts of echo park

when it comes down to it, consider where you're going to spend time in the city cause ultimately you'll have to drive there. i never get my eastsider/downtown friends over on the westside and vice versa.

when it comes down to it, i wish i lived in venice hands down. lots of things to do. walkable/bikable. has character.

Jul 20, 07 3:07 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Are you moving for school or work? If you're moving for school and you are going to UCLA, then listen to ACfA. If you're moving for school and going to SCI-Arc or USC, I am going to pimp my apartment building:

http://www.sblofts.com/

Find a roommate and then come join me at the pool on the roof :o)

Jul 20, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

be careful when moving to koreatown. i lived there for almost a year and found that there are pockets of "seedy" areas. seriously, i've been witness to a drive-by on the corner of hobart and 8th, and i've heard of many other stories like that in the area. generally speaking, living north of wilshire is safer than living south, and the further south you go, the worse it gets.

Jul 20, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

arlington heights and crenshaw...untapped by hipsters

i agree with moratto...korean BBQ is amazing...there's a place on 8th street, which is known for their natural wood coals

Jul 20, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
mdler

decide where you are going to work / go to school....live there

Jul 20, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the wilshire rule probably applies only east of say... crenshaw.

Jul 20, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
grid

correction to chart above. Los Feliz is much more expansive than silver lake and echo park. Another place to look is Atwater Village.

Crenshaw Mafia!

dammson - what's wrong with hipsters?

Malibu is nice.

Jul 20, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Hey WonderK-

I just checked out the SB Lofts u were pimping. They're nice! What are the rental prices, if I may ask? I'm almost definitely looking at the west side or w. hollywood since that's where i'll be working, but i'm still curious.

Jul 21, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: