Archinect
anchor

is it good to be confused?

ElenaJ

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I found it as a result of my total confusion - I want to be an architect, but, the fact that it takes 8 years to become a full-fledged architect really discourages me.
Is a bachelor's degree enough to become licensed?
How long did it take you all to enter the profession?
Thank you for your help!

Jul 19, 07 7:16 pm
binary

hi......

research the profession....mainly pay....... schooling....IDP.....books....model materials....... colleges...... debt.......debt......pay.....debt...........

Jul 19, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

takes more than 8 years to be a licensed architect for the most part. if you're just about to enter college, i wouldn't sweat being confused. everyone is confused at 18. i didn't know i wanted to be an architect until my junior year in college. if you're confused, i say take your time. if it is for you in the end, you'll know and will be willing to devote the necessary time to it.

your major options: 5 year b.arch + IDP while working, leading eventually to being a licensed architect after at least another 3 years or so.

4 year bachelors in whatever you want + 3 year master's degree

4 year bachelors in whatever + a hell of a lot of time -> licensed

Jul 19, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
ElenaJ

Cryzko, I found that the average pay for an architect is 70K..can it be true though? after so many years of studying and with BA, or even Master's?

Jul 19, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
ElenaJ

A Center for Ants? ,

thanks for the reply and the info....
i just want to make sure i get it right - if a person has a BA in something like, linguistics, he/she can study 3 more yrs and become an architect?
thank you!

Jul 19, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

70K!? ahahahahahahahaha!!!

but on a serious note, i would second the things ACfA has said.

architecture is nothing to rush into anyway.

Jul 19, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

elena, this might interest you...

http://www.archinect.com/salary_questionnaire/index.php

Jul 19, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes you can get a bach. in anything + 3 years of a master's program.

you'll need to do IDP after you finish your formal education whatever that path is and then take exams. none of which really means you can or can't design a building.

if you're worried about money or how long it takes, you shouldn't do it. if you love it enough, none of those things matter. and you don't need to be licensed to be designing. that's a whole other can of worms.

Jul 19, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

go with dentistry...

Jul 19, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
ElenaJ

A Center for Ants? , xacto ,
thanks for the replies!

Jul 19, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

70K is the average- so figure that most architects have a ___ year career and then divide that in two. so after maybe fifteen you might make 70k or a whole lot more... or move to a crazy busy city like london or LA and after 6 or so years you may be earning that.

Jul 19, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Not only does it take ages of study but, often as not, it's years more hack / lowly work before one gets to design anything of any size. And the pay is relatively lousy. Seven years or so after graduating, I was ready to finally quit. But, through lack of pluck or sheer bloody-mindedness, I stuck at it. Now, it's the best job in the world! As all the 90's popstars fade into obscurity, guys of my age are just beginning - the fact that one is required to grow as a person in every way through the demands of one's work till age 70 or more, well, it's kinda the elixir of eternal youth! Heh.

Jul 20, 07 3:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pharmacist, be a pharmacist, they are in short ass supply and make beau coup moullah!

ka-ching.

Jul 20, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 
cf

It's good to be confused, especially when someone else is in control of your confusion. It's not your fault.

I think Hawaii has a straight through Doctorate. You can be a Doctor and an Architect.

Jul 20, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
_MLD

if you're working in a firm and going to school you can start you IDP after one or two yrs of school you don't have to wait till you graduate. Also, some states don't require the M.arch, of course it's always good to have it, and you don't have to finish the IDP to take the ARE, you need it by the time your finished and for NCARB. all of which i wish i knew when i started out.

life doesn't have to be in order... they preach it in school but it just causes unnecessary stress and it doesn't make you any less talented or skillfull, it's just a guide. Cris is right you cannot rush architecture..until yoou have a client.

Jul 20, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

you'll have to wait till the summer after your junior year while in school to start idp

Jul 20, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
ElenaJ

Thanks for the replies!
Could anyone tell me (just for general info) - what's the starting pay for those who have a master's in arch?
Thanks again!

Jul 20, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

a m.arch i went to school with started out at 42k working for a large-ish corporate firm.
another took a job in the NL making 400 euros a month.

Jul 21, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: