Archinect
anchor

arch / fashion

I have a general question concerning fashion and was hoping you guys would be able to help. I have a degree in architecture and have been practicing for around 5 years and have always had a strong interest in the fashion industry. I was wondering who designers get to design and produce drawings for their fashion shows? I would assume that larger fashion houses have their own staff of designers that specifically deal w/ this. Am i correct in assuming this? If not what is the norm within the industry?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 17, 07 2:58 pm
mdler

most designers have clothes, not drawings, in their shows. Most designers design thier clothes

Jul 17, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i think longhorn is talking about the person designing/drawing the runways and showrooms and such...not sure though

Jul 17, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
longhorn

yeah sorry i mean the runway and show itself.

Jul 17, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm on my way in that route.... i launched my t-shirt line to get the buzz out there and currently working on some other lines.....but it's alot of work and trying to find a seamstress to work with is a problem..... if you are looking to do prototypes for clothing...find an older lady/seamstress that knows her shit.... alot of youngins in the fashion industry will give you problems since they will try to design yours shit......

good luck

b

Jul 17, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

most of that stuff is probably done by a production design company. I am sure that the fashion designers have some imput, depending on the type of show that it is. I am also sure that they do have architects design their shows (proably ahve a better chance if you have designed their showroom)

Jul 17, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Some designers will hire an outside general event management or production design firm that will cover everything: catering/cocktails/gift bags; guest list/doorstaff/crowd control/seating arrangements; and runway/lighting design/choreography (approached in somewhat a similar manner as theatrical lighting and set design.)

I don't know specific firms that I could name, but perhaps you might try calling a respected but rather small fashion design company where you are likely to actually get hold of a fashion company that presents during your nearest fashion week and asking them and expressing interest in working on that end. (say, Vena Cava, Zero Maria Cornejo, Martin Margiela, etc. - not Prada/Gucci/or anyone huge where it would be difficult to find the right contact.)

Jul 17, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Sorry, that last paragraph is unintelligible, but hopefully you can navigate it eventually...

Jul 17, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're talking the equivalent of exhibit design. which is usually produced by exhibit designers with experience in designing exhibits.

Jul 17, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Wasn't that woman on last season of project runway an Architect trying to make it in the fashion world?

Jul 19, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
plastic_soldier

its possible that an exhibit designer would design a runway show, but from my experience, i know that brand strategy/design firms do this type of work - both in-house and sub-contracted. i work with a group that covers the grounds of developing the image/brand/strategy, designing all or some of the apparel/accessories, display vehicles, trade show environments, store interiors, literature & web interfaces. its a pretty serious mix of design: architecture, industrial, fashion, web & marketing...i know, for me personally, there is nothing better than this type of work...architecture at its best...

Jul 19, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
longhorn

thanks for all the info. architecturalchef could you or anyone else please give me the names of a few such firms? thanks again.

Jul 23, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: