random find on google

Jul 9, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

eh.. that house is scary...

Jul 9, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

there is NO reason it can't happen, but it's tough to find people who want it, or anything else, instead of what often gets referred to as "traditional mountain architecture (read as: nonstructural log trusses (14" dia. @ midspan) and river rock veneer (probably cultured stone))

you can tell I'm having a bad day when I put parentheses inside parentheses.

I look forward to something inspiring coming from this thread, I'll try harder tomorrow because right now I'm going home!

Jul 9, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

oh- and I'm talking RURAL modern, with cutting edge, ancient technology, off the grid mechanical systems. a 1/4 mile rough dirt driveway leading to a 1000sf gem of a place on wooded acreage with chickens goats and bees.

Jul 9, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Why not work with the whole modern industrial aesthetic? Wasn't that the inspiration for the early modernists? Put them in a silo or a barn or something. There is a guy in NZ who does houses which are kinda half greenhouses, half shed/barn. Simple detailing, smart ventilation etc. Not always fantastic but some are quite nice. I think his name is Cook. Can't remember. Maybe Agfa can jog my memory?

Is there any kind of local vernacular which isn't borrowed from something nasty?

Jul 10, 07 4:32 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think you probably mean Marshall Cook. There was that well-known one with the two red sheds with a greenhousy enclosure of the space between them. Can't find a picture, sorry. He doesn't google well.

Jul 10, 07 4:52 am  · 
 · 
le bossman
http://www.bcj.com/

Jul 10, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
emaze
Peter L. Gluck

Little Ajax Housing
Jul 10, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Thanks Agfa. Two weeks of carpark layouts have turned my brain to mush...

Jul 10, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Oh...and have a look at:

http://www.oskaarchitects.com/

Some better than others. Loving the massive, manually operated glazed wall.

Jul 10, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Cost and method is important. Emagine this is build at a cost of say 5£ pr Sq.Feet ---- cost of factory cut steel frames hammering cheap, Say you multiply the facric -- no one need live in the raw framework ; when someone want to vakate a particular amount of living space, the cost will be that of paneling these raw not ugly, structures.

Ofcaurse the framework can be lighter or later reinforced, but this will give a picture of what house you can cheaply inhabit. It will make this, it also cover any of the recent suggestions ,by offering a different building method.

Jul 10, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Mr. Vindpust

I have not previously followed your glorious posts, but was wondering with this system is there a way to get around high material costs due to the density of the structure? The same applies for labor costs but I wonder if some could be made based on the fact that, as a prefab structure, it would probably be assembled in the factory.

The best way to insulate such a structure would be to utilize Cor-Bond polyurethane foam. Although these types of structures are rigid, this would reinforce the rigidity by gluing it into one solid mass. Also, it would be easier to install in this instance than standard batt insulation.

Also a couple of other questions I have are

1) How are finish materials applied to the structure? In this angled configuration, it is difficult to locate behind sheathing for nailing and other means of attachment.

2) Can the members be castillated? Due to the thickness of the floor and roof plates, it would be otherwise difficult to run utilities through the structure.

3) How are the members themselves attached to each other?

Thank you,

Le Bossman

Jul 10, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

There are other bizzare spatial issues as well, such as the fact that, in the above section, entire members will be the same shape as the cross sectional area of the house. It is impossible to find wood pieces that large, even engineered woods. Also, even if you could find them, it would have to be assembled by crane. Such huge, light members would act as sails in the wind and be difficult to attach to each other. I cannot figure out how an interlocking system is possible to assemble when it contains multiple levels within each component. I think the walls, roofs, and floors would all have to be separate components.

Jul 10, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

vindpust considers himself a visionary and doesn't concern himself with practicality...he thinks it's up to the rest to figure out the methods and means to build his 3dh...so asking questions will not yield answers

Jul 10, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Le Boss ;

You must remember that this structure requier a different attitude , let me put in a few examples I find relevant ;

Remember you have a reliable, a bit different true, but acturly genuine strong framework and it replace a variaty of technikes and materials boiling it down to basicly one material only. Now the sorts of gadgeds that in tradisional building glue together the assemblies is here often not even required --- the wins so much overshaddow the only drawback , this is a bit different and new. But I could describe dusins of simple solutions to the "trouble" you would emagine, when first understand the method. --- each of these most often just lead to further skilled solutions ,new options open with all the further develobing of this simple concept and yes, when these things work already in say shipsbuilding, when automated production will profit so highly ,why shuldnøt we then not trust the skilled new crafts and arts of tomorrow ?

Maybe it sound strange, but I knew I at some point had to justify the costs of structures in this fabric , but before I put in graphics that in boxes one sq.Feet would count, how much steel plate exactly ; belive me I waited to deal with this specific ,as yes it is simply cheaper than the third cost, I promised. How much would that bare few pieces of sheet steel cost not much I recon it when calculated is so cheap, you at first can not belive it.

Paneling and develobment of maybe standard paneling will profit the method even more, esp when the paneling itself, is woven from the same framework assembly, just in another sheetmaterial brand.

Jul 10, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"vindpust considers himself a visionary and doesn't concern himself with practicality...he thinks it's up to the rest to figure out the methods and means to build his 3dh...so asking questions will not yield answers"

Nonsense --- the crits about the method, all are personal attacks, newer one engineering argument, just read the previous.

To claim how I "see" myself is silli and reflect none of mine entrance into how to make the computer yield houses, they still will be stronger, cheaper and engaging the computer in a different way, I have tonns of practic experience ,better I was a good boatsbuilder ,go search for Cyber-Boat then you will find a lot boat designs and software for that brance of designs, this year back to the start of it all.

Please ; if you want to critic the method that's allright, but don't do it in a covard way .

Jul 10, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Mr. Vindpust

These are great comments. I think that what we need in this day is a new, automated system that is completely thoughtless. Although we must hold it to be true that in a sense, humans will never be removed completely from the process, as in shipbuilding and mating.

Is this to be constructed of steel wood, or glass? I am confused by the seemingly retarded way of how the lattice transfers loads through it's joinery; obviously these would become rigid moment connections in steel, but could not become so in would without significant nailed connections, eliminating the intended inefficiencies of your design. There is also a cost issue here as well, since the Chinese stole all our steel it is now expensive. It is certainly unintelligably useful as a construction method.

I would also like to talk business. How are you promoting this method? Could you post some images that have been built to date? Are you working on patenting the 'big idea' first as opposed to working out the mundane important details? Is there cost data available of the working prices?

Thank you,

Le Bossman

Jul 10, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Gee all I do is to suggest a more modern way to put things together, true I worked on it a great deal of my life and was first to suggest it the forbidden method . And Sorry I can not pop the right trends and speak the assembly out in verses ,but realy ; all you needed was newthinking and a new architecture, --- what's wrong bringing that, beside only protests I ever seen, has been social , the latest assumption about what I see myself as, is just a continue line of alway's hostile complains that newer brought one single engineering argument, strange .

Jul 10, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"since the Chinese stole all our steel it is now expensive. It is certainly unintelligably useful as a construction method."

Yes and isn't that just a kick to get started, develobing sandwich engineered, best Eco friendly, new sheets materials `?
Just emagine --- when you know this methos seemless will provide a strong structure for anything, how you can add property to othervise weak and cheap sheets in the structure, by combining with stronger and more weathered types of sheets made structure --- this work already in tradisional houses aincient ones, where the straw roof, ensure the mud walls --- why shuldn't a skilled young designer make this ten fold ?
Do we need houses or new jobs, new technikes , a different aproach to the often alian computer technikes no --- this compensate for a start.
It is not my foult the chinese welcome 3D-H more then how other places, but if the critic about the method is , that I "see" myself like this or that, then what would you do, being "blessed" with these skills ; I have to say that your understanding of the wonders this method can produce , from your words, will greatly profit , if you just make a search on the web, try search for Cyber-Boat, 3D-H , Per Corell, ---- among there you will see the structures you ask.

Jul 10, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And what's wrong beliving people have enough emagination, to from this graphic emagine, how much different and how much cheaper and stronger everything in architecture and design, can progress with just a bit newthinking.

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/images/2573.jpg

Jul 10, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

vindpust,

you are not the only one "blessed" with these skills. if you just make a search on the web, try search for Bill Massie --- among there you will see a BUILT structure...

Jul 10, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

great comments guys.. however, i was really after some examples of built work, firms, etc... especially in colorado.. im going to be relocating there in a few, and am looking for a heads up on good firms.. looking for architecture firms, and gc's.. especially in the residential arena..

Jul 10, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

Where exactly in CO?

Aspen:

harry teague

studio B

Denver: ???

Other: ???

Jul 10, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Mr. Vindpust

I apologize to you for the misunderstanding. I was merely trying to instigate a dialogue about the pragmattic potentials of 3D-H

Thank you,

Le Bossman

Jul 10, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you checked out the colorado aia. it's a pretty good site

Jul 10, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
some person

ug. I wish Archinect would tag threads that have been vinpusted, like identify them with another color or the red dot that's on Thread Central or .jpg du jour.

Jul 10, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Try CCY or Studio H:T. There are several small firms in Vail and Boulder that do great work, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head. Studio H:T was featured on HGTV building the principle's Dream House. I think his name is Chris Herr.

Jul 11, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

There's also some good stuff happening over in the Sierra Nevadas. Its not the rockies, but I bet it would transplant well.

Jul 11, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: