Archinect
anchor

see how BIG the new mosque

cmrhm

http://www.big.dk/projects/tir/

Does it EVEN look like a mosque? 

May 11, 11 12:27 pm

What is a mosque suppose to look like? If anything, this can be seen as a favorable move away from the Arabization usually associated with Islam. Prior to the 19th- and 20th-centuries, many mosques were pluralist and represent the ethnic and historic aspects of where they are located. There are many mosques around Europe built prior to the modern era that are difficult to isolate from the buildings that surround them.

However, I really question the Albania aspect of this whole situation.

May 11, 11 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

does anyone look at that plan diagram and think star of david?  i realize it's two squares instead of triangles..but still.

May 11, 11 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yes, lars

May 11, 11 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Now that Albania has a functioning government again, I say it's about time for them to fill up all that space with some buildings. Good on them.

BIG's renderings show hipsters occupying the space. Sometimes I really hate the render kids. 

May 11, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

My comment wasn't a knock on Albania— it more or less has to do with the discussion of religion surrounding Albania. Some demographics and surveys mark the country as almost being hyper-religious despite the very dark cloud that looms over 20th-century Albania.

Other demographic data puts the country at nearly 65% atheist. The State Department's report says something like over 70-something percent of the country is non-religious or religious-by-tradition, e.g. celebrating religious holidays secularly akin to how the Japanese now buy plastic trees and eat KFC for Christmas.

I'm just leery of the "religiousizing" happening in that country with regards its own special history and struggle with religion, religious freedom and persecution.

May 11, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

I love Bjark Ingels, but true to their style this thing will probably never get built anyway.  

May 11, 11 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

although i used the question sentence "Does it EVEN look like a mosque? ", I actually think the process is again innovated. But I want to listen to you guys' opinions.

As usual, Bjark didn't start the mosque from the symbolic shape.  Instead, he found an interesting outdoor space after overlapping two grids.  Then he come up his big idea: an outdoor mosque space which suitable for local mediterraean weather.

But what does this twisted form means for the muslim? No one have doubts?

May 12, 11 10:33 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Although the whole design process demonstration looks rational, Bjark is arbitrary in the beginning when he picked three masses for the starting point wih one open space in the middle.

Anyone disagree with me?

May 12, 11 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

lars, the 8 point star is an islamic symbol, hence how BIGs diagrams work.

May 13, 11 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

agreed apurimac. Petronas towers use the 8 point star as well

May 13, 11 1:27 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

"What is a mosque suppose to look like? If anything, this can be seen as a favorable move away from the Arabization usually associated with Islam. Prior to the 19th- and 20th-centuries, many mosques were pluralist and represent the ethnic and historic aspects of where they are located. There are many mosques around Europe built prior to the modern era that are difficult to isolate from the buildings that surround them."

JamesL: I just found out your provided meaningful info. I have similar observation.  Currently, there are many christian church is using all sorts of avaiable space to hold their service, like former warehouse, former office building and so on.  I am highly appreciated at such movement since it reflects the big factor influence the church development --- budget.

May 13, 11 4:03 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Apurimac and rusty,

why 8 star has meaning for islam? It seems many culture is using 8 stars.

http://moroccandesign.com/eight-point-star

May 13, 11 4:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: