Archinect
anchor

OMA Jebel al Jais Mountain Resort

brown666
link

mmmmmhhh...

Jun 15, 07 12:11 pm
misterTT

I hope this gets built . . . It will satisfy my super-studio daydreams for years to come!

Jun 15, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

it looks more like a camp for miners than resort.

Jun 15, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

i remember when we were taught to respect our surroundings, not fuck them. and please mister, don't soil the altruistic aspirations of superstudio by comparing them to rem.... i see no value in this work whatsoever.

how many times is rem going to jump the shark before he gets called on it?

Jun 16, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

respect the surroundings: never build

Jun 16, 07 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Chch

I like the look of this project. It looks really interesting and seems to have a lot of different spatial configurations. It's almost like the Kurokawa metabolist housing without the rigid framework (I forget the name).

punky-you sound like you've got a chip on your shoulder against OMA. Any reason for this? Remember - not all OMA projects are based around an idea of Rem's, it's a very open practice with lots of ideas flying around.

Jun 16, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

There are no surroundings- even if there was the UAE would exploit it even more.

Why not get mad at bombing ranges or nuclear waste dumps in the desert.

There is probably little natural life here- I think we should populate the desert more and preserve coastline and forests- where there is a fragile ecosystem.

Jun 16, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Looks pretty interesting. Seems like one of those projects that would look better built (and blend into the surroundings more).

In reference to the Libeskind thread - I think Rem is hiring designers more talented than he is (which is how you should do things in business), whereas Libeskind either isn't relinquishing control or hiring bad people.

Jun 16, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
archasm

sort of reminds me of machu picchu

Jun 18, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

how dare they destroy their surroundings!

i'm going to write a stern letter to the designers of this 'machu picchu'

Jun 18, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

heheeheh. good 1 frac.

Jun 18, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

sorry haters, i think its fucking awesome.

Good job Rem et. al, at least you all still have some balls/tits.

Jun 18, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
iwr

OMA JAJ plan was also a response to that of another firm, who proposed greening the entire desert and creating mediterranean themed villages, etc... pretty much covering the landscape in mountaintop suburbia.

OMA's desire to build high density seems to apply to the desert environment as well as urban environments - allowing most of the area to be left undisturbed... prehaps an extrapolation for the maxim 'go big or go home' - 'build big or build nothing'...

Does touch the ground less = touch the ground lightly ;-)

Aug 22, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

@ lwr
I would say so!

Aug 23, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: