Archinect
anchor

Difficulties to find an architect job in Chicago

nachouseros

Hi everyone,

I'm a spanish architect who has moved to Chicago 2 months ago. I find it very difficult to find a job here. I have sent more than 50 applications and no company has called me for an interview. I think that there must be something that I'm doing or presenting wrong in my resumé or portfolio. I would appreciate it if you could assess my resumé/portfolio and tell me what I should change to adapt it to the US market. I send you here links to my resumé/portfolio:

http://www.slideshare.net/nachouseros/resume-portfolio-useros-14456924

I have seven years of professional experience but I know I lack of american experience (legislation issues, construction permits, etc) so I am applying for positions ranging from internships to five years experience. Am I maybe overqualified for these positions? Would you erase some experience?

I would highly appreciate it if you could help me.

Thank you in advance,

Nacho

Oct 16, 12 1:21 pm
Maria M

I can't comment on particulars of finding a job in chicago but I can comment on your portfolio in general - it looks a bit studenty and for someone with seven years of experience you don't seem to have any built projects. I think there are too many "designers" on the market at the moment - that's why newly qualified architects find it hardest to get a job - and if you want to be noticed you need to have a solid proven experience of built work. Hope it helps.

Oct 18, 12 8:05 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Nacho, 

I tend to agree with Maria, if you have 7 years experience i might try to incorporate a lot more of that in your portfolio.  I think she might be right in that while your resume would be compelling if you were a recent graduate, offices looking for more advanced candidates are going to want to see a more broad range of skills.  The renderings and presentation stuff is still critical, but there should also be an indication of your ability to advance a design, manage and even detail it.  So, i would eliminate all but your single best student work, and focus on the process of your work in an office setting.  Show sketches, presentation work and even technical drawings (in a nice way of course) that prove you have a good 7 years or experience.

That being said, dont give up!  Things are going to turn around here soon, the job market for architects is already drastically improved over the past couple years and i THINK it will continue.  Stay aggressive and proactive and you will find something. 

Good luck.

Oct 18, 12 9:55 am  · 
 · 

You should explicitly mention your visa / work permit / citizen status in your resume.  HR will look at your resume and pitch it if you are going to require complicated visa sponsorship, something many small and medium firms have no experience with. 

I have a friend from Puerto Rico and I suggested that he start out with some statement in his resume “Professional experience in the United States Territory of Puerto Rico” made a huge difference.  The anti-immigration sentiment in the US has a lot of small employers scared.

I would target firms with international employees or principles.

Oct 18, 12 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Not to pile on, but I agree with  lletdownl and Maria, before reading their comments, I glanced through your portfolio and thought I was looking at the portfolio of a new student. 

Oct 18, 12 11:46 am  · 
 · 
nachouseros

Thank you for your comments. I hadn't realized it was so.

On the other hand many of the finished buildings I have worked on, have been developed within an architecture office and, obviously I wasn't the only architect working on them. Maybe I have to incorporate photos of these finished buildings explaining the parts I was in charge. And I will also incorporate sketches and process information that gives information about my skills and abilities.

Thanks a lot!!!

Oct 18, 12 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Maria M

nachouseros, definitely show the images of the completed buildings! And some details/ technical stuff – have a look at architectural magazines, Detail for example, they have a nice simple way of presenting built projects. You can mention your role in general but also try to “big yourself up” – there will be time to discuss the particulars once you get an interview… remember, your resume and portfolio are your marketing tools and should show your best side! Good luck, anyway! ))

Oct 19, 12 6:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: