Archinect
anchor

Summer '07 Movie Central

A place to discuss movies that we have seen or want to see this summer.

Jun 10, 07 5:41 pm
bowling_ball

28 Weeks Later.

Crap.

NEXT!

Jun 10, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

I want to watch Fatih Akin’s Edge of Heaven.
Best screenplay @ Cannes.

Jun 10, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think the indy video store mass ave video(sorry myriam) is gonna show the big lebowski outside. that'll be fun.

Jun 10, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jun 10, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

I just saw Pirate's of the Caribbean, and I actually found it pretty amazing at times. The section when Jack Sparrow shows up in the land of the dead is a surrealist delight. Some of the best movie making I have seen in a few years.

I also found the beginning appealing. I saw a little a commentary on issues of the day. No Habeas Corpus, no lawyers, no trial, straight to the hangers noose if you are even suspected of sympathizing with pirates...

not a great movie, but I would recommend it.

Jun 10, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

I am exited about:
Paprika
The Simpsons
and my nerdy delight: Transformers

Jun 10, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i just saw knocked up... it's rediculously funny

Jun 10, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

vadol, i like drive-ins a lot. Are you going? Anyone know if there is one in Boston/Cambridge area?

Jun 10, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i am excited to see sunshine, la vie en rose, and paris je t'aime (which i am going to see this week, so it isn't actually summer...)

did anyone else see the host? i really liked it!

Jun 10, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Me? I'm looking forward to Superbad

Jun 10, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I think the closest drive in to Boston is on 146 on the way to Providence.

Jun 10, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

this looks funny:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/fido/

Jun 11, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

how do you fall in love with a city?
Paris, Je T’Aime with its many directors tries to show us.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/parisjetaime/trailer/

Jun 11, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

and for paris this looks great and funny too: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/ratatouille/

Jun 11, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

steph you are so cool. hi steph.

when i was a kid i was at the drive in and they had playground equipment and i fell off the slide backwards and knocked myself out. i think the movie was "the ghost and mr. chicken"

Jun 11, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Quilian- I LOVED Pirates. Even if it couldn't be called 'high art', it kept my laughing my ass off near constantly, and there were only a couple of parts (like when Calypso goes giant...) that I thought were outright bad.

Tacky, I know, but I'm really looking forward to the next Harry Potter movie (and book!).

Jun 11, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

i kinda liked when she got huge... it was very b-movie, plus calypso was kind of hot ;)

I think the movie was pretty good overall. I only hated it when it got too cute and self-referential specially with the bad comic relief that the animals, the guy with one eye, and the two stiff British soldiers brought. Johnny Depp hit it out of the ball park again, hopefully his efforts in actually acting will inspire other leading men and women to create delightfully crazy alter egos.

Jun 11, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

See, now I thought the had a pretty good balance of continued jokes from the first couple movies and new stuff they brought in. Calypso looked so pixelated, it was like they literally didn't put as much work into that segment as they did into their other effects.

I read a review on Slate before going that said that it was "best viewed like a piece of modern art", and going in with that viewpoint kept me laughing even when the rest of the theater was quiet.

Jun 11, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Knocked up was funny but 40 year old virgin was better, imo.

Jun 19, 07 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

not sure if it's even going to get a wide release, but I saw a movie called Eagle vs. Shark at the Newport Beach Film Festival, and it was really, really funny... A film from New Zealand.

Jun 19, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i wanted to see eagle vs. shark at sundance, but didn't get to! it is coming here soon, so i believe it is in wide release.
still haven't made it to paris je t'iame...

but oh my gosh, i saw day watch this weekend, and i think it is the best action flick i've ever seen.
GO SEE DAY WATCH!

don't worry about seeing night watch first, they sum it all up in the first 30 seconds.

Jun 19, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

stephanie, you were at sundance?

Jun 20, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 

just saw Jesus Camp. very upsetting.

Jun 20, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

knocked up was hilarious, with beard jokes to spare.

and superbad looks fantastic. michael cera is a kid dynamo.

Jun 20, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

oh, also...this isn't a summer 07 flick but did anyone see 'blades of glory'? habitat 67 was featured rather prominently...there was much rejoicing.

and this isn't a flick at all, but i just watched the first episode of 'flight of the conchords' on hbo's website...and it's goddamn hilarious and worth checking out.

http://www.hbo.com/conchords/

Jun 20, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
simples

my wife and i decided to go on a movie date tomorrow; we'll be watching "paris je t'aime"...a few people mentioned it earlier, but has anyone seen it? comments?

Jun 20, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

quilian,

yes. not with a film or anything special like that. anyone can go!

Jun 20, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 

sure, i am sure there are pictures of you in a red carpet somewhere. Are you just a big movie buff or you just happened to be around?

Jun 20, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

My girlfriend bought me a pirated DVD of Ocean's 13 in Shanghai .... that means that I do not have to spend $10 to go to a movie theater. Woo!

Jun 20, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

as a person who once saw a film a day for a month, i have stopped going to the movies.

Jun 20, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

quilian,
i'm on the red carpet daily!
i guess i could be considered a "buff"...but i don't know? i probably do watch 3-5 films a week (on average). i volunteer at an independent theater in town and there is a group of people who go to sundance every year...as park city, utah is not that far away from my little city of boise, idaho
-s.

Jun 20, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
simples

"Black Sheep"...horror/comedy film from new zealand...

i don't know much about the film, i just loved the image...

Jun 20, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

I'm really looking forward to

"You, The Living" (by Roy Andersson)

Jun 20, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

I just saw ratatouille, and it is as amazing as the NYT and other critics have made it out to be. It is one of the best pixar movies maybe with only Nemo coming even close. Worth checking out...

Jul 7, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 

we watched mary poppins on dvd....

only movie we've seen in months.

[kids.]

Jul 7, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Saw Black Book a couple weeks ago at the local movie house. As a fan of Verhoeven's last Dutch films (from the early 1980s), I was interested to see his new Dutch produced film.

"In 1980 he made the film Spetters with Renée Soutendijk and again Rutger Hauer. The story is sometimes compared to Saturday Night Fever, but the film has more explicit violence and sexuality (in this case also homosexuality) which are sometimes seen as the trademarks of Paul Verhoeven. Verhoeven's film The Fourth Man (1983) is a horror film starring Jeroen Krabbé and Renée Soutendijk. It was written by Gerard Soeteman from a novel by the popular Dutch writer Gerard Reve. This film would be Verhoeven's last Dutch film production until the 2006 film Black Book."
--wiki

In this regard, the film did not disappoint. Black Book is a long movie about an uncanny and very twisted story of survival--just when you think things are at their worst, they then just get more worse. There's even a somewhat thought provoking soundtrack. I'd like to see the movie again.

Jul 7, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i watched the original cape fear the other day. excellent.

Jul 7, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Black Book trailer

and some of the soundtrack.

Jul 7, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
KEG
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

is playing at Cinespia tonight!!!

When I move, I'm gonna miss Hollywood forever...

Jul 7, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

WTD that looks like an awesome place to watch a movie. I'll add it to my list of things to do in LA, if I ever make it over that way again.

Jul 7, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Q,it's good times! When people hear about it, they think it's creepy, but its totally not! It's great to be amongst the stars (even though they are in the ground- haha), while under the stars and with friends- it's a Hollywood summer staple. Everyone brings blankets and picnic's and wine and fun...

They play a huge range of movies (a lot of Hollywood classics) but tonight's gonna be extra fun w/ Fast Times playing! Not sure if you have myspace, but you can check out more picks on their site.

Jul 7, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ooh....of course npr has done a story about it...

listen and read here.

Jul 7, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

whattodo, that looks like a fantastic place. we have a few good ole fashioned drive in double feature theaters around me. i love em.

stephanie, night watch is one of the best action/sci-fi movies i have seen. the cinematography is unreal, and i particularly like the way they play with the subtitles in a unique way, instead of just slapping them on top of everything.

it's not new, but i highly recommend man bites dog if you have never seen it. it's a hilarious b&w mockumentary about how involved a documentary film crew can get..

Jul 7, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Knocked Up killed, Transformers not so much. Looking forward to Superbad.

Jul 7, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Knocked Up was so funny! And Superbad looks....well, super bad. In a Napoleon Dynamite sort of way. So it will probably be funny too.

Jul 8, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
KEG

So, that was officially the best freakin' Cinespia EVER!!!! John Wyatt, the founder, went up to introduce Fast Times and said he wanted to bring out a friend. A cute bubbly lady bounced across the lawn, grabbed the mic, and said "Hey everybody, I'm Drew Barrymore!" She said how great our little Hollywood tradition is as we get to hang out with good friends and good vibes "...and smoke our stuff and drink our stuff with great food and great people." It was awesome!! Then she introduced "a good friend of hers"- Amy- freakin'- Heckerling! She talked about directing Fast Times 25 years ago and how it was #2 at the box office, just behind ET (as she looked at Drew).

Then we all sat back in our beach chairs and watched one of the best movies ever made. The audience participation was awesome as we all knew all the words and the soundtrack! I really had an amazing time.

Ya know, as much as I bitch about LA and I'm excited to move to Philly, I have had so many really incredible experiences that you could only have in this City of Quartz.

I suggest all you Angeleno's and visitors treat yourselves to a summer evening of good friends and good vibes and go to Cinespia...

Jul 8, 07 3:27 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

sweet. must check it out.

Jul 9, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

so far this summer movie season:

knocked up - really funny, and "sweet", but not as good as 40YOV

paprika - really trippy! pretty cool! great to watch in "high definition" =)

transformers - eh... i could have lived just fine without seeing this. the cgi was pretty cool (although @ times, it seemed like a music video featuring the animators talents) but the story/plot didn't really hold my interst much. it was a bit too long, i thought, and i got bored waiting for it to end.

gypsy caravan - really cool documentary on four gypsy bands from around the world touring across the united states. i liked it!

i can't wait to go see the simpsons in a couple of weeks!!!

Jul 9, 07 2:25 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

saw knocked up friday night.

good stuff. highly recommended.

Jul 9, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm missing alot of the summer movies while abroad but I did see pirates yesterday and I thought it was the best of the three. The surrealist bits were awesome. I thought i was watching "The Fountain" when they were sailing through the star ocean. Def. not what i expected out of a disney summer movie.

Jul 9, 07 2:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: