Archinect
anchor

job hunt w 7 yrs experience

elleitect

so I was let go from my job after being there for 6 yrs. we lost a major client and there were layoffs and i have a great ref from my boss but still a bummer. anyways, back in the mix looking for a job, have some good contacts and a few interviews lined up so should be ok.

the problem is my portfolio. i really haven't looked at in several years and it is filled with previous "cool" theoretical projects (abattoir slash dance club), circa 2004 renderings (form-z!), puppets, etc. And the firm  i worked for subsequently was kind of large and dull (not bitter, just being honest- i came from a very design-y school so it seemed to make sense to get some real nuts and bolts type experience see above re: puppets).  i feel like i have good experience, i.e. several mid-sized built institutional projects where i was the lead, lots of hand sketches of both design as well as CA type clarification details & experience, full sets of working drawings from previous years where i was the job captain, revit, LEED. I just don't know how to put it all together. By project? Seems like each project could take several pages.  I am looking for examples of good portfolios for people at this stage of their career and most are of recent grads with spectacular renderings which i quite frankly had nothing to do with (beside guiding modeller/ renderer). any help appreciated. thanks!

Oct 8, 12 2:19 am
miesian

I didn't touch my folio for a good 4 - 5 years, so I kind of know how daunting it feels. I imagine you must have a lot of built work at this stage, so I wouldn't sweat the rendering stuff too much and use photos instead. After all, it sounds like the firms you are talking to will be more concerned with your ability to build and manage more so than presentation. If I were you, I think I would approach my portfolio more like a monograph of sorts than what a recent grad's portfolio might look like. Very simple layout, maybe a full-bleed photo on one page and a corresponding detail / sketch on another and some general drawings just enough to explain the project. Remember, it will always serve you better to have a short, simple portfolio that only has quality stuff than a thick one that has a bunch of shit.

Anyway, don't sweat it too much, just keep it simple and get it done. In fact, since presumably you will be bringing drawing sets to the interview, it might be wiser for you to spend more time on the letter/samples/resume package since that will get your foot through the door. Good luck!

Oct 8, 12 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ mies said.. fancy, realistic renderings mean nothing if one has no idea how to actually build it, how to detail, how to manage projects from start to completion.  Recent grads might likely get hired for entry level positions, you on the other hand are more likely to get hired for a higher position.

I've interned at almost a dozen firms and during almost every interview, the principal tells me to not include too many renderings and fancy graphics..  They really brush by them and seem to be more interested in the few construction details I've drawn, or ask about drawing sets etc

Oct 8, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ agree with what mies said..

Oct 8, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

elle - i'd approach it like this: what kind of position are you looking for? now and maybe 4 years from now? orient your material to suit that pursuit. meaning, you seem to be a PA. that's great. is that what you want to be 4 years from now? do you want to be a PM? a lead Project Designer? a Principal?

all that is relevant (imho) because, yeah, i could look at your portfolio and 'get' whether you can put a set of documents and/or a building together (ideally i'd like a client reference more than your ex-bosses reference). but i'd orient it as to where you'd like to go (not just where you've been). also, remember that most employers want you to present information that shows them how you would present it to a client. THEY are the client (in this case) - show them how you'd present yourself to their clients...

so, as an example: if you want to orient it towards being a pm, you could skip some of the cad drawings, etc. and show the final product. talk more about your role managing the team, client, process, etc. in other words, act like a PM. (just one example). a PA may want to show the internal process (sketches, how you communicated ideas to a client, etc) and talk more about leading the technical development of the project. 

Oct 8, 12 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: