Archinect
anchor

Wolves in Sheeps clothing

legopiece

In the current state which this profession finds itself in, it is increasingly difficult not run into people waiting to make you look bad or take credit.  I am a calm relatively quiet person and exceptionally knowledgeable. The one thing I haven't mastered is how to deal with wolves in sheep's clothing.  I don't need to tell anyone who has worked in this field how you can run into these types of people.  (and Sorry if you are one of them don't mean to insult)   The ones that will trip you and step on your neck, and know only about 25% of what an experienced person knows. So far I simply do my best, and have not approached them about their sophomoric tactics.  Id be interested in finding out how anyone on here has dealt with these credit taking wolves. or if you are one of them could you tell me what triggers your actions?

Oct 6, 12 12:15 pm
chatter of clouds

i don't like this to use this language but it seems to be speaking for itself here : "have some balls". for example, you say...."and Sorry if you are one of them don't mean to insult". well, thats just nonsense; there are undercurrents that go against you here. why are you apologizing? why are you pinning up wolves in front of you on archinect to then apologize to, even sarcastically? useless psychological shadow puppetry.  and in your second sentence, you present yourself in a weird sort of way...quite, calm and exceptionally knowledgeable. its like you're taking about some other person whom you're complementing.

i don't want to bash but really...there is a whiney element of passive agressive obsequiousness that comes through. there are two cases ..one, where others' taking credit for your work makes a tangible difference to you...and in that case, all you have to do is put yourself in a situation where it is obvious that you're doing the work...just have some libido. the second is where its trivial and only throwing echoes in your mind.

and in any case, eventually, after you work for some time with an office, it will be clear , very clear, to everyone, including your bosses and clients, who is doing the work. and, remember, sometimes, it is not your role to take credit...its the firm's principal  who takes the credit from the client or the PM from the principle, for instance. its a natural hierarchial thing, i suppose.

maybe i'm a totally different person. i don't mind giving anyone a piece of my mind if the situation calls for it. yeeekh, this post has made me sound far too masculine.

Oct 6, 12 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

It's not just the profession, that's life in the real world. Competition can bring out the best in individuals. However, it can also bring out the worst...people are still insecure about what's been going on over the past few years. Can you blame them though? When you have a family, house, student debt, etc...the prospect of unemployment can remove you from the profession forever...

You certainly have the right approach, if you don't want to stoop to their level, then just keep working hard and you'll be rewarded. If you're boss is the asshole then learn as much as you can and find a place that will value your contributions.

My current supervisor doesn't even have a college degree but made it to project principal in the firm. Here I am with my "fancy masters degree" as he calls it but I'm stuck with him for the next 18-20 months on a project. He's extremely insecure and I had to learn his quirks to get anything done but I feel that I'm better for it. Eventually if you want to lead you have to learn how to manage all the insane personalities that gravitate towards architecture. 

Best of luck!

Oct 6, 12 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

He calls your degree a "fancy masters degree", it is time to quit!  He is a jerk, and you will be rolled under that bus when it comes, and it will arrive sooner or later.

He is emotionally attempting to upset you and inflict harm. I suggest that you plan ahead, to avoid a growing problem in that office.

Oct 6, 12 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

Thanks for the sound advice LitsFormz, Tammuz thanks for psychological incite, not sure how to interpret your reply, but any feed back is helpful.  That aside, I have to say that because of my professional etiquette, and training, showing emotion is certainly an obstacle for me to overcome, because one of those rules instilled in me was to never bring emotions to the office or any other professional environment.  Ps  i was mostly referring to those that think they are managers, but are not, and not just taking credit, but also not letting you speak, and how they always point out the obvious. I mean Obvious things to an experienced professional.

thanks.

PS. sorry to hear about your situation LITz formz, keep being a professional

Oct 6, 12 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thank you all for the concern but it's really fine. Everyone knows the guy is a dick and his boss along with his boss's, boss (hooray for corporate firms with layers upon layers of mgmt) loves me so I'm not worried about it at all. The guy knows how a building goes together better than anyone I've known which is why he's in his current position.

I work on-site most of the time so I only have to talk to him during conference calls 

Oct 6, 12 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Oct 6, 12 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

hit back.

seriously.

this is the first and only time i'm siding with tammuz. i hate him when he talks architecture, but he's on the dot on this one.

i can't count how many times i've turned on a supervisor and been "ok okay, next time, be clearer and we can save ourselves a bit of time and maybe a bit of fee. *dazzling genuine smile*" or pulled the "i told you so" sign out. it works. when dealing with aggressive people, who want to cement their position within a hierarchy, you have to push back in order not to be pushed around. 

most people in this profession pretend they know more than what they do. interpersonal skills are what gets you ahead.

i've done it both ways though. i've worked in places where i was labeled intern from the get-go even though i was hired as an architect, and if you let people walk all over you, your stay is bound to be either short or extremely painful.

oh and if you overstep your bounds, don't be afraid to apologize, but always describe the logic behind any of your reactionary comments. that's how i roll.

Oct 6, 12 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: