Archinect
anchor

Baghdad Embassy Plans Turn Up Online

KEG
when should the FTP site NOT be used?

May 31, 5:30 PM EDT
By MATTHEW LEE
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Detailed plans for the new U.S. Embassy under construction in Baghdad appeared online Thursday in a breach of the tight security surrounding the sensitive project.

Computer-generated projections of the soon-to-be completed, heavily fortified compound were posted on the Web site of the Kansas City, Mo.-based architectural firm that was contracted to design the massive facility in the Iraqi capital.

The images were removed by Berger Devine Yaeger Inc. shortly after the company was contacted by the State Department.

"We work very hard to ensure the safety and security of our employees overseas," said Gonzalo Gallegos, a department spokesman. "This kind of information out in the public domain detracts from that effort."

read the rest of the story...

May 31, 07 6:12 pm
mdler

thanks US taxpayers for building us the largest embassy in the world

- Bush family, Haliburton, and friends

May 31, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i wonder what happened to the 'architect intern' who posted it?

May 31, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

reading that i couldnt help thinking about the jurrasic park compound

May 31, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

any of you archinectors work at Berger Devine Yaeger Inc? hmmm, their website is down...odd...lol

May 31, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

sketchup?

"This computer generated architectural rendering recently posted on the architect's web site reportedly shows the entrance to the residence of the Deputy Chief of Mission, part of the American Embassy complex in Baghdad, Iraq, currently under construction. Detailed plans for the new U.S. Embassy now under construction in Baghdad appeared online Thursday, May 31, 2007, in a breach of the tight security surrounding the sensitive project that will be America's largest diplomatic mission abroad. The post was removed by the company from its website shortly after being contacted about it by the State Department. (AP Photo)"

May 31, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

whats al quida gonna crawl through the duct system or something? don't actually try crawling through a duct system it won't support you. but don't tell the terrorists that.

May 31, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

what are you trying to say Vado? I mean if something works in both Die Hard and The Breakfast Club...how could it not be true?

May 31, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Dear AP,
Thank you for posting all the images...

<http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070531/D8PFL2280.html>

love,
The State Dept.

May 31, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hah!

May 31, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I now make projections, not renderings

May 31, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
not without

"Google Earth could give you a better snapshot of what the site looks like on the ground."

les duh

Jun 1, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I didn't see the photos....but I'm assuming they are using the famous 3dh method of construction.

Jun 1, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

snooker, you've found the market for 3D-H!

And yeah, not without, I had the exact same reaction re: Google earth.

I know this is serious, but I can't help but laugh at how grade school it all is:

Q: Was this a security breach? "Well, I won't confirm that because it would confirm whether the plans are accurate or not."

Q: Billy, do you like Suzie? "If she says she likes me first..."

Jun 1, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Great, now the terrorists have critical knowledge that there is a pool for them to pee in. Good job everyone.

Jun 1, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
NowPublic
Jun 2, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Nice Orhan- ahahaha.

Jun 2, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

funny, i thought it was sketchup the second i saw it too.

Jun 2, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

the image with a lone guard in front of the security gates seems a little misleading...anyway, i'm sure this stupid thing is going to be renamed "New Kennebunkport" and will be the Bush clan's new palatial summer digs for countless generations of wealthy-faux-hillbillies to come...Middle East style!

good thing they've got the renderings up, otherwise the Iraqi people might have forgotten that we're never fucking leaving...good stuff. ugh.

Jun 20, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are upon hearing the news that the embassy just opened. From the picture it looks like a prison, but I guess it would have to be built like a prison for people to live there, eh?

Apr 15, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
med.

WonderK, I've been to Baghdad on numerous occasions. The style of 1960s brutalism is the norm there.

Everything looks like a prison. It's a very 60s/70s looking city.

Apr 15, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Archmed, are you from Baghdad? Just out of curiosity. It's hard to really see it in the tiny photo, but what do you think about the project as a whole?

My feelings about the embassy are, well, inexplicable. I feel like it's this 20th century Manifest Destiny in action. And like it's a huge money pit. I know, just like the whole war itself, right? Egads.

Apr 15, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
med.

WonderK,

My feeling about the US-embassy project is that it is a monument to just how low most peoples' expectations are when viewing architecture in Baghdad.

Apr 15, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh that was a sketch I did back in 2002 accross the Tigris River:

Featured Landmarks (from left to right)

Baghdad Zoo Observation Tower
Baghdad University Administration Tower
Saddam Hussein Tower (the tallest one)
Firdoos Square Mosque
Al Rashid Hotel
Martyr's Monument
Ministry of the Interior
Abbasid Palace
Ishtar Sheraton

Apr 15, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: