Archinect
anchor

help with portfolio and questions about job search-Auburn University grad

dhdewees

I have recently graduated (two months out) from a 5 year dual degree program and I am sending out job inquiries with fervor. I am a bit disheartened by the number of replies I received good or bad in comparison to the number of inquiries sent out. I am starting to believe that I must be doing something wrong.  I could really use some advice from folks in the profession.

Job Search issue:

I am sending my information via email

1) Very short cover letter focusing on where I found the job and why I like the firm, mentioning my strengths, and thanking them for consideration. I also put a link to my issuu portfolio as well as my email address and my phone number. (sometimes I send this as the email itself not a pdf)

2) I attach a pdf of my resume (one page) and work samples. One project per page and a brief synopsis of my work. (generally 7 pages) I have also been including my reference page, but as I have been reading on here maybe I should be keeping that for the interview

My attachments are always under 5MB and I feel like they are laid out in a manner that promotes the quality of my work.  

I have sent out approx 50 emails and have had a few really nice people send me "thanks but no thanks" or "we are not hiring at this time" letters. By the way, although these letters are depressing to receive, I am soooo very grateful for the time they have spent to email me and let me know instead the majority of the firms that leaving me hanging. 

I am applying out of state because in my area there are very few architecture firms and they are mostly one man shows. (Lake Charles, LA area) I have read that many firms will not even consider out of state / out of city applications, or these applications go to the end of the pile. I am eager to move and have no problem starting in a new city or state. I always state that although I am out of the area I would gladly come in for an interview if the possible employer is serious about hiring. (not in so many words)

I would love some feed back on what I could possibly be doing wrong.

Portfolio issue:

I would love some feed back on it. I am trying to exhaust all possibilities. Maybe I should remove certain projects and include others? 

Here is the link to my sample works:

http://issuu.com/dhdewees/docs/sample_work_ddewees_final

Here is the link to my portfolio:

http://issuu.com/dhdewees/docs/ddewees_port_2012_sm

All advise and criticism (good or bad) is welcome. I feel like it is all a learning experience.

-Thanks 

Sep 26, 12 7:18 pm
royc

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } Can't give much help on the professional stuff (I'm soon to be in that same boat), unfortunately. Your work looks solid and nicely done, though, so hopefully something comes through. Direct networking is by far the best option, if it's at all possible.

In terms of presentation, I'd suggest letting your graphics breathe a lot more in the portfolio and especially in the work samples. White space is your friend (especially when people are glancing at something rapidly), it really helps avoid the feeling of information overload.

Also, some of the images look oddly squished -- I'm guessing it's just intense perspectives, but it kind of looks like it may have been distorted in InDesign or something. I'd suggest checking that, and if that's not the case, just giving it more space around it/making it bigger. For intense perspectives/fish-eye style images, it's hard for people to "place themselves" in the image, so anything you can do to help that is nice.

I like the full-page renders later on in your portfolio, they look very professional. Is that 3ds + Vray?

Sep 26, 12 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
dhdewees

royc, 

If you are talking about pgs 49 - 50. It is drawn in sketchup, then rendered in either vray or kerkythea (experimenting) for basic rendering (very basic renderings, to get the majority of lighting correct and water to look semi correct), then directly into photoshop where the real work takes place.

Which images look squished btw? 

You are right about letting the pages breathe especially on the samples pages. I can remove some images or reduce the number of pages and make each project a double page. I am trying to keep the pages attached to the email at a minimum in hopes that it will be just enough if they are not interested in clicking on links.

Thanks for the input!

Sep 26, 12 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Agree that your work samples are way too dense. Cut the number of images on each page in half, at least. Give it more of a sense of hierarchy.

Sep 26, 12 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
dhdewees

OK cool, cut more white space or larger/fewer images on sample works, got it.

Thanks guys!

Anything else I can fix, rearrange or do differently in my application process or portfolio/samples? 

Sep 26, 12 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
royc

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } In the work samples, the Pelouze Conference Center, the two images below the text box (top image more so than the bottom, but the bottom seems barely squished too). The top right two images on the Drawings/Paintings seem just slightly squished as well. Like I said, it may just be odd perspectives/intense viewing angles, but in the context of a crowded page, it feels slightly squished to me...

Sep 27, 12 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

david - first off ' war eagle' (and enjoy that one, we're going to be hearing a lot more 'war chicken' before this year's over...)

i think you're nibbling around the edges with the portfolio questions. it's not going to be that or your letter or what not. really, your issue is going to be: how big is my professional network? meaning, who do i know, how well and can i work through that network to help get a jump on openings that do pop up (and they do, for various reasons, but they do). 

the rest is fine. the issue is firms aren't generally hiring people just out of school the way they once were. for a lot of reasons. so, to give yourself the best chance of landing a job, it's going to be more about your personal connections, more than simply sending materials around blindly (no matter how good they are). don't stop sending them, but i wouldn't rely on them exclusively. 

Sep 27, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

As far as your career search goes, cold emails are basically a waste of time. Super small return rate on those. I've sent out 80+ over the years and have gotten one interview from them. They liked me but didn't have the workload to bring me on :(

You're best bet is to network. NETWORK with everyone, neigbhors, peers, professors, AIA events, church, strangers, etc. Someone always knows someone. Another thing you can do is put your resume up on craigslist. I've gotten several interviews this way, way more than the cold email approach. Also if you live in a small city or a place with a lack of opportunities. You might have to relocate. Take a non-arch job in another city until an arch opportunity presents it's self. It's what I'm doing next month.

I wish you well man. I'm in the same boat except I graduated in 2009, try swallowing that. You're only 2 months out, don't fret. Keep pushing.

Side note - as far as cold emails go. I know I said they rarely work. But I know this girl who has used this strategy twice and got jobs both times. One lasted a year and one was for a summer internship. IDK how she always pulls it off, she doesn't even send that many cold emails. Definitely jealous of her sucess.

Sep 27, 12 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
dhdewees

royc - The two images on the Pelouze Center project may have gotten a little bit skewed inadvertently, but the other two are intentional extreme perspectives.  Thanks for spotting that I'll fix it ASAP! Good eye by the way.

Gregory - War Eagle!! It is probably going to be rough season, but I believe Auburn has the talent now (if they stick around) they just need to work hard and get some experience.

I am fresh out of school I have, but I have 6 years of construction experience under my belt (before college) and just under one year of professional office experience.  

I have heard that firms don't count experience while you are in school, so if that is the case should I only be applying to 0 years of experience jobs?

Great advice btw, I will work on building my network and getting my name out there! Maybe I can do some part time or freelance rendering / graphic design work in the mean time and keep on sending out my applications to hiring firms.

Sep 27, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
dhdewees

Quentin - Thanks, I may have to try that, I am not afraid of hard work or moving.

On the topic of cold emails, I have a friend that lucked out as well sent some emails to New York and had a job within a few weeks.  He does speak Chinese though (may have helped him, but his work is really good too).

Looks like I am going to exhaust all avenues: cold emails, relocation (if necessary), job searches, alternate employment until I can snag something (but I cannot imagine doing anything else I love architecture), posting my resume and work, networking.

Good luck to you as well! I appreciate the input.

Sep 27, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

This is an issue of reply and keeping your name in their minds. 

I am reading “Cracking the Hidden Job Market” from ten Speed Press, seems that resumes are not very effective, but if you do apply your cover letter should have a call for action.  For example from my own cover letter / email:

I am so excited about this opportunity and I hope you have a brief moment to talk on this Day and time if that is not a good time email me and let me know. I hope you take a look at my online portfolio I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Set the date according to the job listing, so if candidates are not to call then just say hope to talk soon, if they don’t say no calls then propose a follow  up a week in advance but try to avoid Fridays. Email or call on time. I sort my applications into folders for the response date that I need to follow up by. 

Then the heavy lifting part, look up the firm find any names and research them find out where they went to school and look on Face Book and Linked In, if they are connected to people you know get those folks to recommend you. If you know someone at the firm send them and email and ask them to refer you.

Also apply using the company website not a job board system get as close to the source as possible to avoid any automatic filters.

How many times should you try to contact a potential firm? I have read that every 3-5 days until they say you have not been selected. If you are afraid of annoying them then think of how often and how many different ways friends and family email you things get lost or forgotten. Multiple attempts will at least get you closure.

Sep 27, 12 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
dhdewees

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!  I hope that the next time I post on this thread it will be as employed.

Best of luck to everyone looking for work!

Oct 1, 12 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: