Archinect
anchor

How Did You Find That?

BlueSteel

materials?

I was curious how all of you go about finding the baadaasss stuff you're specifiing and building with... Everything from tile, to flooring, to windows/doors, and cladding.

Seems like one could spend the greater part of their time rifeling through websites to find that one company that is making the item you need. I am curious how this works in your office? Is there usually one person who is given the outline of what you are looking for and then is let lose to find it? Or, are you finding this stuff? Have you found good resources for stuff? Cool web-sites? Have you found contractors to be good sources?

I have very little experience with this and would love some stories or advice. Shameless plugs are encouraged.

thanks

May 13, 07 12:29 pm
xtbl
here

you go dude.

May 13, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah he's giving me the Blue Steel pose!!

May 13, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

No one dedicated to finding new materials, everyone does a little research for their projects and are usually advised when in-house presentations are made, on new products.

Otherwise during trade shows, magazines (MARK, Architectural Record/Review), some websites, or the best is simply to design what you need.

May 13, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

i'll admit to being on the conservative side, but i usually pick one or two new materials/systems per job for which i think i have time for the learning curve. i enjoy learning about these things and i like to use the best solutions out there for any given problem, but i don't want to use something unless i've (as) fully (as possible) understood the implications of using it. guarantee: if it's unfamiliar to me, it unfamiliar to the contractor and i'm going to have to walk him through it. if i don't want to come off as stupid in the eyes of the contractor and the client, i have to know what i'm talking about.

i see jobs that are all macked out in 'NEW!' stuff and it makes my head hurt. somebody 1) had a nightmare coordinating all that totally unfamiliar stuff or 2) didn't coordinate it and let things fall where they lay. either way, it's not for me.

just coordinating the usual stuff is hard. pick carefully where you want the 'NEW!' stuff and make it matter.

May 14, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://www.materialconnexion.com/pa1.asp

soon i hope to afford membership here...

May 14, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

Steven,

If you are using 1 or 2 new things per project i wouldn't call it being conservative but realistic. Thats great... Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the links.

May 14, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
lsobol

Blue Steel:

I posted a similar question regarding product/material sourcing but disappointingly, recieved no helpful responses.

I've found this site useful: www.materialexplorer.com
unlike connextion it doesn't recquire an annual fee.

I also subscibe to Blaine Brownell's product of the month newsletter at http://transstudio.com/tm
Goodluck, let me know if you find others.

May 14, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Isobol - You may not have received too many good responses because your post smacked of SPAMMING considering it appeared that you were promoting this material explorer site...

apologies if that's not the case, but you know how it goes. new user giving shout-out's to this "great new service" and what-not, sounds like an advertisement.

blue steel (in addition to taking his name from one of the funniest movies of all time) has worded his question in the form of...a question. looking for advice, without the posting of a new website for us to check out.

fwiw - i did check out materialexplorer, and although it's not for me...it does look like it might be a cool service for some.

May 14, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
lsobol

oh I see. thanks mightlylittle. I'm surprised I wasn't informed of that.

May 14, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Finding interesting and/or nice materials is a surprisingly difficult proposition, I've found. There's just no way to do it on the internet -- the construction trades are littered with too many crappy products.

The backs of Architectural Record and Architecture Review often have nice materials. Go through some back issues. The above-listed sources are also good.

Steven Ward has a point, too. If you spec new materials, you should know A LOT about it and how to detail it well, because contractors will have many questions. They will bitch and moan if it's something they haven't seen before.

May 14, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: