Archinect
anchor

Part I and Part II experience and skills level

.dwg

Does anyone know what the North American equivalents are in terms of education and work experience, for Part I and Part II etc., positions in Europe? I'm a little confused when I look at job postings from London and elsewhere.

May 12, 07 1:16 pm

part I is 3 years archi-school minimum..

part II is that plus a year out working in an office and 2 more years, min....minimum...

i believe.

basically it means you have finished your professional education and after some time working in an office will be ready to do part III exam (after finishing also some more courses)

costs a few thousand pounds to get your NA education certified...but apart from that is not a huge problem, unless you have a MArch without an undergrad in architecture school...which means you is only part I in the UK...

May 13, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

In the UK our qualification is split into 3 parts called (shockingly) part 1, part 2 and part 3. Once you have your part 3 you are an architect (the letters after your name being RIBA). There are various ways to get each part, but the normal description would be:

Part 1 = undergraduate degree in Architecture
Part 2 = graduate degree/diploma in Architecture
Part 3 = part-time lecture series at a university taken while working. This is followed by exams & includes a case-study project in your job that you have to get a certain amount of experience on and then write up.

So in the workplace:
Part 1 position = you've finished your undergrad course & are probably planning to go for your Part 2 course in a year or two.
Part 2 position = you've finished your postgrad course & are likely to be looking for a place to work while taking your part 3 (or just somewhere to catch your breath beforehand).

I did my post-grad diploma last year and within my office am described as a "part 2". That means they trust me to design stuff and want to learn how to build it, but they realise I haven't got a clue about contracts & the legal side of things (because that's what part 3 training is all about & I'll be doing that next year).

A touch long-winded, but I hope it makes sense & is of help.

May 13, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: