Archinect
anchor

My PC Quit its Job!

difficultfix

About 2 days ago, My system at home quit its job..My hard drive took a dump.....

I have worked for a little over 4 years building up work expeience and a pretty decent portfolio....

Now I have lost everything, but a couple of current school project jpegs that I had on my jump drive and pc at work.

My portfolio always seem to be able to seal the deal for me to get a job..But now I only have a resume, and the knowledge I gained thru my experiences.

How nescessery is it, or better yet Will I struggle to get a new job,

About a month Ago I scored a job that i didnt accept because I was not feeling it. Now I am worried because I dont have a portfolio for future opportunities...

Should I explain to future Interviewers my situation... or should I start building one now...spend extra hours producing work...

any advice would be much appreciated..

Thanx in advance

May 10, 07 10:54 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You could try scanning a print copy of your resume if you have one, and invest in a backup drive?

May 10, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
xentr0py
ADR San Diego Data Recovery Service Center

Try and negotiate to pay only in the event of full data recovery.
I don't know the particulars of your situation but in most cases, barring prolonged exposure to corrosive acid baths, you'll likely recover most of your data.

May 10, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

Another simple thing to try is to pop your hard drive into another computer as a secondary drive. Many times a drive that is not stable enough to boot off of will still be accessible as a secondary data drive. There's also the possibility that the problem is in your mother board and not the hard drive at all.

It is definitely worth it to try recovering that data.

May 10, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Thanx xentr0py for the Link, I will follow that, to check....

Thanx Rationalist....for the advice I will try that, But if it dosent work...

Would it look bad if i went to interviews with out portfolio...I know the answer is Yes....But any thoughts on this

May 11, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

If I can recover my data....It would be so Cool... So I will not give up....I will look at those opts...and see what happens

May 11, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

after youve exhausted those avenues - I've heard of people actually putting their hard drives in the freezer - seriously

May 11, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You'll most likely recover the contents of your hard drive, or at least the large majority. Unless the discs actually get smashed, you're not out of luck yet. A simple hardware failure shouldn't be too difficult to get around by a professional. There's an industry devoted to this, so don't give up hope just yet. It happens more often than you think.

May 11, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I am going to try all the options given, Thnak you to allof you

May 11, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

You may also want to look into a Ubuntu or Knoppix Live CD. Boot the pc straight from it, and it could give you access to the data. Of course, if the motherboard is shot, this won't work

May 11, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

We recovered data from a hard drive by opening the case, dislodging the hard drive, keep it plugged in, put in in a zip lock, put it on ice and reboot. Make sure you have another place to put your info already to go (dvd, tape, external hd...)

j

May 11, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I think rationalist's idea is the best fist step. What I did in the same situation was bought a USB HDD case ($20!) and connected the drive to my other computer. Everything was there. And my mental breakdown subsided (and this is with 95% of my work backed up, so I can't imagine what you are going through!)

http://www.cooldrives.com/

This is the one.

May 11, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

garpike, I did the exact same thing. I spilled a margarita on my laptop and fried the motherboard, but was able to hook my hard drive up through one of those cases as an external drive to my boyfriend's desktop, and keep right on working on my grad school portfolios. I was terrified when the laptop wouldn't start, but it turned out that the hard drive was perfectly fine. The $20 investment is definitely worth the chance that you dont' have to pay a professional hundreds.

May 11, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

same for me as garpike and rationalist.
external hard drive went bad so i bought a new drive and installed it in the old enclosure.
same problem.
bought a new enclosure and installed the old drive - worked fine.
turns out the controller in the enclosure went bad, not the physical drive.

of course my external drive was the...ahem...backup drive.

May 11, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll have to try one of those external cases. I've got a dead hard drive that's been sitting in a drawer for three years now, and although 95% of the data was backed up (thank God), there's still some stuff on there I'd like to recover if possible.

May 11, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha yup, rational. My laptop just decided it would sit at the log-in window with no icon - no margarita though... I was able to get into the computer with a Linux OS on disk, but then what? Ha. I saw my stuff, but couldn't access it. I bought the case and dragged my stuff to my desktop, cleaned the HD, and dropped it back in the laptop. It's been running fine (and so clean!) for about a year now. I could have saved hours of worry and tooling around if I knew to just buy that case first.

BTW, hp suggested it. For free. Well after the warranty. Their chat support is phenomenal - I received personal emails with specific info, including that cooldrives website.

May 11, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

LiG, it would be like xmas in May.

May 11, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

garp- I've noticed that my laptop does that if I have my ipod plugged in. Somehow it goes "ooh, an iPod! Need to update..." before it finishes booting. Unplug iPod, and everything's fine.

May 11, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: